claytor lake or new river muskie or catfish partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• claytor lake or new river muskie or catfish partner

Looking for a partner who likes to Muskie fish, Catfish, or Striper fish. I have my own boat, unless you want to alternate. I fish the new River between the dam and whitethorn, and Claytor lake for striper. 90%+ fishing done at night due to work schedule

I wouldn't mind having someone else to fish with every now and then but with my schedule I can't fish much during the week so it would have to be on the weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by River Bum View Post
      I wouldn't mind having someone else to fish with every now and then but with my schedule I can't fish much during the week so it would have to be on the weekends.
      That's fine with me, they usually work us weekends anyway. But anytime until 12:30-1pm and anytime after 10:30pm I'm free

Comment

OK probably could do a Saturday morning sometime before too long. I usually fish for smallmouth so it would be a learning experience for me to go after muskies or striper.

Comment

OK probably could do a Saturday morning sometime before too long. I usually fish for smallmouth so it would be a learning experience for me to go after muskies or striper.
          All of the muskies I have caught on the New have been on bass lures. The biggest was well over 48 inches on a simple tube bait. One year, they were hitting crankbaits aggressively. I have had two crush Zoom plastic lizards. The first one was on monofilament. It snapped the line in seconds. The other was boated with 15 pound test flourocarbon. If you fish with that test for bass, you stand a better shot of landing the unintended musky.

I have had three strikes at my inline spinner musky lures, but have yet to sink a stinger or two in one on that lure.
          Thank God For Rednecks

Comment

Originally posted by bbmogul View Post
            Looking for a partner who likes to Muskie fish, Catfish, or Striper fish. I have my own boat, unless you want to alternate. I fish the new River between the dam and whitethorn, and Claytor lake for striper. 90%+ fishing done at night due to work schedule
            I'd like to come down and chase some striper on Claytor with you sometime
            Make VAO Great again

Comment

Originally posted by PsuHntr View Post
              I'd like to come down and chase some striper on Claytor with you sometime
              There's nothing better than chasing striper when they're breaking and chasing the schools all around the lake. The Hybrid Stripers(smallmouth and striper) are fun too. They hit hard as hell man. Name the day/evening/night and I'll put vacation in

Comment

That sounds good to me man. Fortunately a lot of your bass spots you can catch Muskie too. Like the other guy said(and as frustrating as it is for a Muskie Angler) a lot of Bass guys catch Muskie on accident. But if you're trying to fish for them, it seems like your luck isn't as good haha. Just name the date brother

Comment

Originally posted by PokerFace View Post
                  All of the muskies I have caught on the New have been on bass lures. The biggest was well over 48 inches on a simple tube bait. One year, they were hitting crankbaits aggressively. I have had two crush Zoom plastic lizards. The first one was on monofilament. It snapped the line in seconds. The other was boated with 15 pound test flourocarbon. If you fish with that test for bass, you stand a better shot of landing the unintended musky.

I have had three strikes at my inline spinner musky lures, but have yet to sink a stinger or two in one on that lure.
                  Dude that's what's frustrating about being a Muskie Angler lol. I've pulled all-nighters and well into the next evening, we would maybe take a break and grab something to eat and we would run into bass anglers, and there's probably been 2-3 times out of t or so times we might run into them and guess what they caught that my buddy and myself couldn't catch?? Lol you guessed it. We usually go to the Omelet Shop off the Claytor lake exit after we finish up, and that'll usually be anywhere between 3:30-5:00am and i always think it's cool when you pull in and there's two or three boats parked there and you can tell the guys are either Bass Anglers, Catfish Anglers, Striper Anglers, or Muskie Anglers. At least i *think* you can tell who is who by a combination of their boat, rods/reels, lures, boat setup, and if their anchor light is plugged in(assuming they don't have one that's just built in). Anybody else think that? Lol. The bass guys I'll see usually wont ever have their anchor light in, and usually they won't have the fishing pole holders that your Catfish guys will see. Figuring out who is Muskie fishing, Catfishing or Striper fishing is a little harder I think. I think it basically will come down to their rods/reels if you can see them. A lot of your Muskie guys wont have fishing pole holders that you'll see Catfish guys with(the ones that are adjustable) unless they catfish too. It seems like a lot of the hardcore Striper guys usually have pontoons or SeaArcs, and your Catfish and Muskie guys tend to be in jon boats, sometimes with a jet. That's my theory, lol. An old man explained all that to me a long time ago and i feel like its accurate. Idk if anybody else agrees lol.

I really have no idea how i rambled as long as i did and got so off topic, but we need to slay some fish too lol

Comment

Good deal man I'll give you a shout before long. I'll be sure to let you know a few days in advance of when I can go. I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to people's boats. You can tell I'm a river guy from my outboard jet lol. I've only been to Whitethorne once and it was great....Caught several bass, saw 5 muskies and had one muskie that was pushing 48" follow my crank back to the boat.

Comment

Sounds good man, and Whitethorn is amazing. And i am trading my 9.8 Tohatsu for a 25 Mercury Jet. I regret ever buying a prop outboard. The motor itself is amazing and Tohatsu makes all the Powerheads for Mercury up to 25 horsepower, the only difference being the transmission. But having a jet is definitely where it's at

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5093.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	97038

Comment

This past weekendClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5091.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	97039