Frog Only Report...Lessons Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frog Only Report...Lessons Learned

So yesterday was one of those days that's going to take a long time to forget. I'll highlight my three lessons learned initially, and then expound.

1. Set two alarms on tournament day.
    2. Wear shoes when fishing.
    3. Execute, execute, execute.

First lesson learned - Set two alarms on tournament day. Now, I know this was not a major tournament or anything, but I'm completely embarrassed to say that actually overslept for a tournament. I had my alarm set, and I heard it, but in a stupor I slept right thru it and thru me hitting snooze several times. I woke up 2 hours later than I had anticipated. I wanted to leave my house NLT than 4am so I could get to the ramp, relax, and shoot the breeze with everyone. Nope - I woke up on my own at my normal wake up time of 4:35. I rushed out of the house and got to the ramp at 6:15, and we were fishing by 6:35 or so. This late and rushed start set the tone of the day for everything else.

Second lesson learned - wear shoes when fishing. We started slow in the fishing, with no real bites at our first stop. Finally, Chris got a bite, but it ended up being about 5-6lb snakehead. Sweet, we got some meat for later... Chris removed the hook from the snakes mouth and was attempting to get the trash bag open, but was struggling to do that and hold the fish at the same time. As I stepped off the front deck to grab the bag, I stepped right onto the Spro Poppin Frog in the floor of the boat. Son-of-a....!!! :Dizzy: I actually had both hooks in my foot, but 'fortunately' only one was embedded beyond the barb, and it was deep. Shown below are the steps taken to remove.

1. Get out heavy gauge cutters and snip the hook, but leave enough hook there that you can work with it by using pliers.

2. Ice it for a good 20-minutes to numb it up, then grunt and groan as you push the hook back thru to get the barb out. At this point, take a little breather, and re-ice before step 3.

3. Pull the big thick hook back thru the foot, ice, elevate and apply pressure....then get back to fishing.

4. Make a visit to the docs to get some anti-biotics, just in case.

This was certainly not the first time I've stuck a hook in me. Word to those out there, always have some heavy duty cutters on your boat for just this situation. I've now stuck 4 hooks in me past the barb, and it's not a matter of if it happens to you, it's a matter of when. I was back up and fishing in about an hour. The longest wait time was for it to stop bleeding, but I was able to get plenty of casts off while sitting down, but no bites...and Chris managed to handle my boat and TM without breaking it. Phew!!!

Third Lesson Learned - Execute, execute, execute... Chris and I had the bites to be in the money yesterday, and we had more than enough bites to have had a fun day. Rather, execution was seriously lacking, and especially for myself. I missed numerous bites yesterday, several of which were large and heavy. The fish were there, but I just jacked it up. Execution is key. We struggled to find lots of bites, but we did get bit and didn't get them in the boat. At 2pm we did not have a single green fish in the boat. At our last stop, I hooked a smaller fish, and lost it 2-feet from the boat. Then a few minutes later I landed our 1 and only LMB - a solid 3.75lb fish that killed the frog. I then went on to miss 2 others in the same area, one of which killed it, was heavy, but came off. That miss was 100% a hook-set issue, which I really need to work on.

In the end, lots of lessons learned yesterday. We had a great time, albeit very frustrating, and we did manage to land 4 nice snakeheads which was plenty of fun.

Here's a pic of the one and only fish we weighed.
    Last edited by gnfsnva; 05-18-2017, 03:36 PM.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Your new nickname has to be "Hooky" Great recap nevertheless.
    Crank That Jank!
    sigpic

Comment

Ouch! I like the picture of the fish better than the emergency room procedure ones but it is a good reminder; as you note it is a matter of "when".
      sigpic

A friend is a present you give to yourself

Comment

Thanks for the painful report. Going fishing is the only thing that I set two alarms for...lol. We didn't find fish or execute, I missed on a couple of bites, and we only put two fish in the boat all day.
        sigpic

Comment

Team "Hookinfoot". Hope it heals quickly. Also a 4th lesson learned actually. Don't park your boat right next to weighin spot. Sorry bout that Erik.
          2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
          2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
          2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
          2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
          "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
          sigpic

Comment

nice photos of the hook removal....gives new meaning to "Hook and Look"......
            cheers,
            Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
            Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Don't let Pac man eat that fish

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman View Post
                Team "Hookinfoot". Hope it heals quickly. Also a 4th lesson learned actually. Don't park your boat right next to weighin spot. Sorry bout that Erik.
                Hahaha...yes, I forgot all about that Larry. My boat needed a good bath anyway with all the blood on the deck, and your full weigh bag did just the trick. Lol...no worries.
                Wishin' I was fishin'...
                www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

HookE, lmao.......pahahahhaha Great recap dude. Not sure I could remove that hook like you did. Owie!
                  sigpic
                  sigpic

Comment

Wow, sorry to hear about that foot. Nice pics one how to remove. I dont have any heavy cutters in the boat but I will next time for sure. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Yeooow.......Nice Fish tho
                      Steve Sekula
                      "Sempr"

sigpic

Comment

4 hooks past the barb? Somebody get this man some Kevlar!

Seriously though, you are one tough mother. Props for finishing the day out. Between a hole in your foot and Chris' incessant banter, I'm sure it wasn't easy :-D

Comment

Originally posted by bank beater View Post
                          chris' incessant banter, i'm sure it wasn't easy :-d
                          roflmfao
                          Steve Sekula
                          "Sempr"

sigpic

Comment

Dang Ek, your partner needs to be a Dr. when you fish! lol At least you caught a good one. Good job!
                            Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Aaaah yes, TEAM HOPELESS strikes again. Given that Ek is usually one of the first guys at the ramp, I should probably give him a pass on being late. Too bad I won't. That first 30 minutes, given the tides on Sat., could have been critical. Strike one.

So we FINALLY roll to our first stop, and as he put it, very little happening. Some sporadic surface action around us, and a couple of swipes, but for the most part nothing for the first 90 minutes. Then a snakehead demolishes my frog, nice to see some action. He absolutely choked it, so a lot of work to get my frog back. By the time I get the frog out, it was completely inverted, and it dropped on the deck while I put the snakehead in the garbage bag. When he sees me struggling, gool ol' Huck Finn hops over to help put snakey into the gargabe bag, and I hear a very loud "OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!" Yep, you know the rest. Barefoot...on a fishing boat?!? Strike two.

As an aside, I have to give props to him for sucking it up. If you saw him cutting the hook, then pushing that thick-azz frog hook through his foot...hell, Striper would have passed out watching. Twice. Then, after icing it up and elevating it to let the bleeding stop, he commenced fishing for the rest of the day, and didn't gripe once about, what must have been, a VERY sore foot. Major props for toughness.

As he said, we had our opportunities. On slow bite days, it can become difficult to concentrate each and every pop of that frog. Couldn't have been due to a lack of sleep on his part, that much we know. But in the end, he missed a number of fish, I missed a number of fish, we should have been in the running. Strike three.

Given all circumstances, we were still able to laugh a lot (mostly at him), and still enjoyed our time on the water immensely. His boat was a little messy for my taste, but i guess a bloody deck is just how he rolls. Congrats to Larry for slaying a couple real PIGS, Team Dirt rocked it, no doubt. EJ & Mike, nice job, even if you weighed-in some of our fish. :)
                              sigpic
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information