VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

I dont know about all of that but you are a kind man JayT. TKS
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Knowledge

I agree with JayT that Jim is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the informative posts!!
        2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

sigpic

Comment

WOW

Man you can learn a lot from Jim..I am so thankful to be a part of this site.
          Kris
          John 3:16

Comment

Jim you must contnue on I've been on the river for 20+ and sum of what you have gone over I knew but alot I just hadn't paid as much mind to. The slack time is what I need to work on. I beleive that pending where your fishing they just shut down in that area, untill tide starts to moving again. In areas where the tide pulls hard I have found that if you start slowly moving to the there next staging or ambush haunch that they move over to on the switch of direction to maintain the tide break on them. I think I said that right.:Smoking:
            2017 Ironman winner
            2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

It will be a few days. I am on Anna for the next four days and then I will get back at it. Much more good stuff to discuss. I want to talk about fishing through the different tides, what to look for in a grass bed, what clues me in to make that big decission to go or stay in a paticular area, etc. Just trying to help my fellow board members when and where I can. Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by just1more View Post
                It will be a few days. I am on Anna for the next four days and then I will get back at it. Much more good stuff to discuss. I want to talk about fishing through the different tides, what to look for in a grass bed, what clues me in to make that big decission to go or stay in a paticular area, etc. Just trying to help my fellow board members when and where I can. Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!
                This is really nice you Jim to post all this information. Many thanks and I hope to start using this information soon !!!

:Yay:
                cheers,
                Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Fishing the Spring Tide:

“Spring tides: Both the sun and the moon affect the rising of the waters. When the sun and moon are lined up (during a new moon and full moon), their effect is cumulative, causing water to rise higher and fall lower than average. These are called spring tides and they have nothing to do with the season, as evidenced by the fact they occur every two weeks”.
                  During a spring tide period when it is high tide you will find me tight to the bank. I will be working the shore line, inside grass line, wood lay downs, and Docks. About half way through the tide cycle I start working out to the outside edge. I think the biggest mistake anglers make fishing this tide is not going shallow enough at high tide, and not moving out far enough at the extreme low tide. A lot of times you have large clumps of isolated eel and other types of grass growing between the outside edges of the grass line and the main creek channel; the bass will migrate to them and just stage there until the tide starts’ moving back in. Sometimes depending on the creek the bass will migrate to the edge of the channel itself. My approach to fishing pads is the same as it would be fishing a grass bed. The nice thing about an extreme low tide is it will expose those long grass points that you would not normally be able to see very well. When you find them mark it on your GPS. There are times when the big bass will flat load up on these points of grass after the spawn. One other thing to consider; spring floods constantly move old logs from one spot to another. If you discover one mark it on GPS. There are alot of cuts off of large creeks that you may not get out of at an extreme low tide, but; there are just as many that you can easily get into as well. Sometime those little cuts can really load up during a spring tide. One other important thing, some of these grass beds are located in front of low laying wet lands, and small feeder creeks. There is usually a ditch very close by created by the run off or flow out of both. Here is where a flasher will really shine because it will punch through the grass and show you those depth changes that are located in the grass beds. These ditches will load up too no matter what the tide. Its important to note that an extreme high tide will cause the bass to do one of two things; bass will have a tendency to move shallow and scatter or cause them to group up in the nearest cut or cove. I try to focus on areas where the bass do not have alot of options on where to go IE; In Mattawoman I'd fish around the two islands or isolated pads next to a shore line. I would avoid the acres and acres of pad flats as much as possiable unless I knew something the rest did'nt. More later guys. TKS
                  Last edited by just1more; 04-07-2009, 07:03 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Are there any tide charts that say what time high and low tides are at different locations on the river?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stratos 283 FS View Post
                      Are there any tide charts that say what time high and low tides are at different locations on the river?
                      Ask and ye shall receive...

http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/cur...5/tab2ac5.html
                      cheers,
                      Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                      Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Steve./tu/
                        sigpic

Comment

Here's another website w/tides:

VA tides (has Chick/James):
                          http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...iniasites.html

Potomac: http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynami...omacsites.html

Comment

Thanks Rudedog, that site is easy to use.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stratos 283 FS View Post
                              Thanks Rudedog, that site is easy to use.
                              Welcome!

It is user friendly & provides the essential info. The layout allows you to view tide cycle + solunar data for the days of the month you want & has a lot of Potomac locations.

Comment

Fishing through a Neap Tide;

“Neap tides are especially weak tides. When the sun and moon are at right angles (sometimes called "at the quarters") their total effect is less and the tidal range (the difference between high and low) is less. High tide is not as high and low tide is not as low. These are called neap tides”.

I hear guys say all the time “The tide never went out today and it killed my pattern”. Guess what? It went out alright; it was just a “Neap Tide condition”. This is the hardest one to deal with. There are a lot of things to deal with here; weak current, high tide is not as high and low tide is not as low. Add in a high pressure system and you have a rough day coming. I wish I could tell you exactly what to do here but there is no hard and fast solution to this tide. I believe that the bass will do one of two things. They either hunker down or start roaming the inside or outside weed line or creek channels. I try to figure out a pattern for the day as fast as possible. I start with top water over the outside edge to try and gage the bite for that day. If that isn’t happening I go to flipping and start with the thickest clumps of grass I can find and then move a finesse presentation pitching to the holes in the grass on the outside edge. If all else fails I grab my KVD, rattle trap, or frog and start covering water / run and gun to try and salvage the day or I will set up on a grass point that extends out into the river and camp out there. Here is why. I have personally witnessed packs of bass (8 to 10) grouped by size (in this case it was 3 to 4 pounders) roaming the inside and or outside grass lines. We caught one and by the time we netted the fish the rest of em were already gone. It would not surprise if these migratory bass cover a couple of miles in a day’s time searching for food. Another good location to target bass during a Neap Tide is in front of a feeder creek or a similar location where the current get funneled through a narrow opening. This of course will enhance the flow or current and give the bass a better feeding opportunity. Regardless of the conditions or tide I am “ALWAYS” looking for some kind of bait activity in the surrounding area. If I see some kind of bait movement or activity; no matter how subtle my confidence level goes way up. When I don’t see it I still give it everything I got but in the back of my mind doubt will linger until I get something going. In my next post I will lay out all of my favorite lures and colors for the Potomac.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information