Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New potomac River Tournament Regulations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree with your calendar, and I disagree with your assessment...

When these "changes" began to really take notice around 2009-2010, I switched to hard cover spots that I grew up fishing in the 80's and early 90's when 2-4lb bass were not abundant and winning bags were 12-15lbs. That's when the only grass beds where in the DC sector, really the main grass bed was the milfoil flat just south of the old WW bridge almost in the center of the river but slanted to the MD side. The "southern" section of the river was pads, wood, and rocks.... The fish didn't relocated to those areas either.. They are sick and gone.

I've been fishing the river since 1986

Comment

five years longer than I. How old were you in 1986?
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

UPDATE:
        Looks like the revised regulations have been revised once again...
        Here are the revised DNR tournament conditions for black bass tournaments in Maryland:
        Largemouth Bass Management Action
        The Department has received a considerable amount of valuable input (verbally and in writing) from our constituents over the last week regarding the black bass tournament memorandum dated March 15, 2016. The Department is responsible for the health of the black bass resource, and the Department has determined that immediate conservation action is necessary. After careful consideration, the Department is modifying the fishable slot tournament permit condition for tournaments scheduled on the Potomac River and Upper Chesapeake Bay from June 16 through October 31. Below is a summary of the modified approach that provides tournament directors two options when applying for a permit, both of which help reduce fishing mortality. This is a needed step that should hasten the recovery of these stressed fisheries.
        Tournament directors that have not received a permit for 2016 can choose between one of two options for a tournament permit where the tournament will be held in Maryland on Potomac River or Upper Chesapeake Bay from June 16 through October 31. Option 1 requires the tournament director/participants to adhere to the slot limit permit condition (i.e., possession limited to a 12 inch minimum size, 5 fish creel, with only one fish which may measure 15 inches or bigger). Option 2 requires adherence to special conditions that minimize fish stress, thereby reducing fishing mortality. Option 2 allows possession limits specific to statewide regulations during this time period. Details are provided below:
        Option 1: the following language is added to the director's permit: For tournaments held from June 16 to October 31 at Maryland weigh-in locations on the Potomac River or Upper Chesapeake Bay (Susquehanna, Northeast, Elk, Susquehanna flats), participating anglers are limited to a 12 inch minimum size and a possession limit of 5 bass (largemouth and smallmouth combined), only one of which may be 15 inches or greater (per angler, per day). Therefore, an angler can weigh-in 5 fish over 12" but only one of these fish may be 15"and bigger.
        OR
        Option 2: the following language is added to the director's permit: All rules and conditions within the Special Conditions for Black Bass Tournaments must be followed and among these are: a) Allows anglers to participate within existing possession regulations (5 fish creel, 12 inch minimum size, no maximum) for tournaments held from June 16 to October 31; b) Requires directors to recover exhausted bass following a tournament and redistribute them to approved locations; c) Requires all anglers to possess a free participant permit; d) Requires other actions to improve survival of large bass.
        Tournament Permit Requirements
        The permittee is required to: 1) ensure that supplies and equipment for tournament are in good working order; 2) ensure that bags used to transport bass do not leak; 3) ensure that largemouth bass are maintained in well-oxygenated conditions; 4) ensure that bass are covered by water when transported by bag: 5) ensure that bass are not held in a bag with water for longer than 5 minutes without a water exchange; 6) ensure the legal disposal of dead black bass; and 7) ensure that results are reported by the date specified on this permit.
        Crank That Jank!
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the updates Wayne.
          1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Comment

Sounds like they are catering to the BASS tourney coming out this year. JS....
            sigpic
            sigpic

Comment

I don't think they took the time to come up with a "reasonable" solution and jumped the gun so speak with that first proposed regulations.
              It would had been incorporated with all anglers not just tournament anglers in order to be fair to start with.
              Crank That Jank!
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information