Potomac River-Sunday June 26, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac River-Sunday June 26, 2016

Dad and I decided to fish on Sunday the 26th and found weather conditions to be ideal for a nice day on the river. Not bad for the 2nd outing of the year on the river. Clear skies with highs going up into the mid 80s, little to no wind, but expecting a lot of boat traffic. Low tide was expected about 7am, and we put in at Leesylvania, so we decided to shoot over to Chickamuxen to start. We got there and found about 10 boats already inside the creek at the main grass bed so decided to go to the far bank and noticed a lot of baitfish activity. With the tide going out, along w/ the fish and baitfish, it's good to reason that a couple of isolated logs out in front of the grass were holding fish so tossed a buzz bait over by each one and caught a couple of good keeper fish. We then worked up into the creek with the last little bit of the outgoing tide and I proceeded to catch another good keeper fish on a popping frog. Also missed what i thought were a couple of snakeheads. With the tide flipping and coming in now we went back out of the creek a little ways to a section of grass bed that has been good to me in the past and found that the conditions were ideal but the fish just weren't there; neither were the baitfish, in large abundance. Dad missed a couple of strikes on the wacky rig, but they could've been perch or bluegill. So we left there and went on further up into the creek to the main grass bed in the middle and found the water to be fairly stained with the incoming tide. We threw the various wacky rigs, flip baits, and top waters with no bite. However, there was a lot of activity going on throughout the grass bed. I did miss one on a punch rig that caught me off guard he hit so aggressively. We then pushed out of the main grass bed and went over to check out the left side of the bay going up into the creek to look for clearer water. Once we found a clear section of water, I proceeded to catch another fish on a popping frog. I also missed another three or four fish, but I am pretty sure that they were snakeheads and we're just slurping at the bait. After doing that for a little while we decided to head up into Mattawoman and try a couple spots up there, looking for clean water and grass. Once in Mattawoman, a couple of spots did not pan out so we decided to flip some Spatterdock around one of the islands and I caught a nice three pounder on a baby brush hog. Dad missed a really nice strike on a piece of structure back in the creek on a jig. I also missed one on a 6 inch worm. By that time, the wind picked up a little bit and we decided to head back across the river and finish out in Powell Creek to see if there's anything happening in there. Water was stained and grass is not fully up yet so we went back to the jetties at Leesylvania and messed around there in the boat wakes and traffic and put up early. Big thing to note here from this trip, which holds true about 90% of the time on the Potomac River, is that when you find the clearer water, and the baitfish all in one area, you will catch fish. Good recon trip for St. Judes tourney.
    sigpic
    sigpic

Nice report. Hope it works out for you guys at the St. Judes.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the report - seems like you guys had activity on a variety of baits.

Comment

Good report Lee! Sounds like a good day on the Riva!
        Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Nice report Lee. Good luck with the St. Judes tourny.
          1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Comment

Sounds like a nice day, we were out on Saturday and the 5-7mph winds were more of a relentless 15-17lol. Still a good day to be able to fish. Thanks for report and good luck on St.Judes
            2017 Ironman winner
            2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Nice thorough report, thanks.

Comment

sounds like a nice day!
                Make VAO Great again

Comment

Nice report.

Comment

Nice report

Comment