4-4-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-4-09

hit the river today. the forecast called for 15 to 20 gusting to 30. I was hoping the river would not be to busy because of the forecast. but i was wrong. Everywhere i stopped i caught fish, and boat traffic, the bent rod pattern is in effect early this year, i moved alot to try to find some areas by myself and found several till i was spotted catching fish. I can the hear the regulars now, live with it. and i do. i just wish people could find there own damn fish. either way, caught over 30 today, rangeing from 2 to 7 lbs. no i dont have a picture... all came from 4 ft or less water, and 3 of the fish had spawned out.
    Will be back at it sunday.
    mike c
    sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Good job mike, me and BigE were out there, i think i saw you this morning in aquia in a bay. We caught around 10, but nothing substantial, all were on traps and spinnerbaits, they were smoking the baits, which also led to a fair amount of missed fish, including eric almost losing his rod to a fish! I think if the water wasn't muddied by the wind and rain, it would have been a potomac massacre today!! nice job again my man.
    sigpic
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Nice Job

After April tx's, think I need to spend time getting on the the river.
      Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250
      sigpic

Comment

G its worth it, the grass is coming in strong, found 63 degree water, fish were punishing baits, i'm talking knocking 3 or 4 feet of slack in the line, hard to hook them. also i think our fish were slapping the bait due to dirty water.
        sigpic
        VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

fished Occoquan

for a few hours this afternoon because of the proximity and high winds. We did okay catching 20 or so but only a few keeper fish. The keepers came on rattle baits in the grass and some rock. The marinas are loaded with small ones. I hope to be able to run around tomorrow and check out some other areas.

JJ
          2010 VAO March Madness Big Bass

sigpicJERKIN JIMMY

Photobucket

Comment

i'm going out of aquia tomorrow and hope to get some action. I'm going to old spots mathing up to where the big ones have been caught. i'm supprised that so many were on the water today...but with the amount of big fish the river's giving up why go any where else? If i see mike w/ a bent rod i'm going to get right in front of him!!! jk! good luck
            b
            sigpic

Comment

Fished an ABA tourney today out of Smallwood. Managed 3rd place with a mediocre bag (14-1/2 lbs) - all on traps in the grass. Caught a decent number, but a lot of small fish. Winner had 18# (w/a 7.5 lb kicker) - he was fishing grass. Water temp was in the mid-high 50s in Mattawoman/mid 50s main river (temps rising fast - main river temp was in the 40s 2 weeks ago).

Neat thing was they didn't cancel the tourney due to the wind (several other tourneys did cancel). Instead, they limited our fishing to Mattawoman, so I couldn't come down & visit y'all. In any case was a nice (albeit windy as hell) day.

JT you're right - fish were hammering baits. I had the same thing happen today. One drilled the bait so hard, I thought the line snapped; when the fish hit, the line went instantly slack & laid on the water. I start reeling & hey, there's a fish on my line! Fish must've knocked 5 feet of slack into the line.
              Last edited by Rudedog; 04-04-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X