Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potomac Teams 8/19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Potomac Teams 8/19

    Fished the Potomac Teams tourney out of Leesylvania on Saturday. Pretty tough bite, there were 66 boats and more than half didn't weigh a fish. We managed a limit but it was just over 10lbs which wasn't enough for $. Didn't have much of a plan so we just did a lot of run and gun and threw the box at them. Caught our fish on buzzbait, chatterbait, frog, and wacky worm, just couldn't get the bigger bites. The catfish bite was on fire though :rolleyes:. Real fun day on the water anyway. Winners had ~17lbs.

  • #2
    Wow - half didnt weigh a fish, I would say that was a pretty tough bite. That makes for a long ass day for sure.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Ironman should be a slugfest.
      2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
      2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
      2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
      2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Fished it as well. We had 4 for little over 10lbs but did not weigh in. Caught bunch of shorts and lost #5 couple times. Pretty sure that some of teams caught fish but just didn't weigh in. No point of weighing in unless you have at least 14lbs or if you are not in top 5 overall. 17lbs won and that was the lightest 1st place win of year. Every other winning bag has been over 18lbs. Was pretty tough bite though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah I figured some boats didn't weigh their fish. I think they paid out 10 places so hopefully nobody skipped the weigh in for not being top 5!

          We didn't catch a short all day, but no quality fish either. Everything we caught was 14-16". If it were a catfish tourney we would have had a solid 30lb bag :p

          Comment


          • #6
            I ment top 5 overall on year not for the day. Would definitely be unfortunate if someone had over 14lbs and didn't weigh in. Don't think a bag under 14lbs has cashed a check all year. Potomac definitely back to being one of the best if not the best fishery in Virginia/Maryland.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for posting Bryan and Drakes. Yes, most of the teams that don't weigh in usually catch at least a few keepers but decide not to weigh in. Like Drake said, if you don't have around 14 pounds or more and aren't in the final five spots for the year, may not be worth weighing the fish. Over the years, this tourny has grown in numbers by a lot so folks want to hit the road home. Traffic is a killer on 95 as you know. The weigh in line is long, especially early in the year. Good luck to you on the next tourny.
              1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

              Comment


              • #8
                My son and grandson fished it. They had 17+ but thier big fish died waiting to weigh in. They lost big fish and first place money because of it. They finished fourth after the penalty. Yep, I told em where to go, haha. My son said he seen fish swiming through the grass frequently throughout the day, so the fish are there. Its just tough to get em to bite.
                2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper


                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by drakes1515 View Post
                  Fished it as well. We had 4 for little over 10lbs but did not weigh in. Caught bunch of shorts and lost #5 couple times. Pretty sure that some of teams caught fish but just didn't weigh in. No point of weighing in unless you have at least 14lbs or if you are not in top 5 overall. 17lbs won and that was the lightest 1st place win of year. Every other winning bag has been over 18lbs. Was pretty tough bite though.
                  Oh, gotcha. The weights from these tourneys are really impressive, especially the Spring events. I was looking at the April 29th event and 30th place had 16lbs :eek:

                  Originally posted by just1more View Post
                  My son and grandson fished it. They had 17+ but thier big fish died waiting to weigh in. They lost big fish and first place money because of it. They finished fourth after the penalty. Yep, I told em where to go, haha. My son said he seen fish swiming through the grass frequently throughout the day, so the fish are there. Its just tough to get em to bite.
                  Oh yeah I saw them weigh in. Impressive bag, too bad about the big one though, that was a nice bass. We didn't see a bass all day unless it was on the line. Grass looked fantastic in several spots though. We expected a good flippin bite but had no luck in the mats.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yeah that April 29th had a lot of big bags, that was the 1st of one of the year. We had 14.15lbs that day. Me and my buddy Jason won the July 8th tournament with 20.90lbs and came in 8th on July 22nd with 17.20lbs. We were in 3rd but lost half a lb. for a fish that died waiting in line. Just glad the potomac is fishing strong again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by drakes1515 View Post
                      Yeah that April 29th had a lot of big bags, that was the 1st of one of the year. We had 14.15lbs that day. Me and my buddy Jason won the July 8th tournament with 20.90lbs and came in 8th on July 22nd with 17.20lbs. We were in 3rd but lost half a lb. for a fish that died waiting in line. Just glad the potomac is fishing strong again.
                      Friend and I fished the July 22nd too with 17.79 and we got bumped down to 7th with a dead fish. They need to get more weigh bags.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ranger364V View Post
                        Friend and I fished the July 22nd too with 17.79 and we got bumped down to 7th with a dead fish. They need to get more weigh bags.
                        We kicked butt that day!

                        Yeah the weigh-in procedure for the Potomac Teams leaves a lot to be desired.
                        Boat: 1994 Stratos 201 ProXL, 1999 Johnson 225HO
                        Location: Rockville
                        Fav Lure: Texas Rig or Frog
                        Biggest Fish: 8 lbs

                        sigpic
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My buddy went out today and within 10 minutes of launching he was catching bigger fish than we caught all day during the tournament :rolleyes:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ranger364V View Post
                            Friend and I fished the July 22nd too with 17.79 and we got bumped down to 7th with a dead fish. They need to get more weigh bags.
                            Just needs to invests in some tanks to keep bags in when you waiting in line to keep fish cool and add fresh water to bag when needed.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X