X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report week ending 5-10

Week ending May 10, 2009

Tidal Potomac River

It was windy the week before and rainy this past week but the big river keeps churning out the bass and snakeheads. I ran a mixture of marsh fishing and grass flats. Hitting the marsh on the higher tides then pulling back to the grass flats on the lower end of the tide spectrum. We averaged 40 to 45 fish a day with a lot of them being in the 14-inch range but we had our share of toads as well we took several 5-pounders this past week. Most of the bass are post spawn in the grass and a good mixture on the marsh flats. The top producing lures were shallow running crankbaits and whacky rigged 4-inch YUM dingers in greenpumpkin or black/blue fleck. I look for these lures to keep producing this coming week with a little topwater action to begin. Good areas were Chopawamsic, Quantico, Dougue, and Aquia Creeks. Have I mentioned to you folks them snakeheads are good eatin'. Grilled with a little salt and pepper, Italian dressing, and butter; you'll smack your mama for the last bite.

Lake Anna

I got a real dose of the post spawn blues here at the lake this past week. Numbers weren't a problem for me but size was. We caught a lot of 14 to 15-inch skinny post spawn males and the only pattern I could make work was to target small secondary points as close to spawning sites as possible. I concentrated on the mid-lake area around the splits. We used Booyah shaky heads with a 4-inch YUM Houdini worm in watermelon and weightless YUM dingers in green pumpkin to catch our fish. This will change this coming week look for the rest period of the females to turn into a buffet on bream around these same points and docks in the area and topwater will definitely be in play; the lake will be a great place to fish this coming week.

For more info on Lake Anna check out this site www.va-outdoors.com

Rappahannock River

No report this week.

Other Places

No report this week.

Sponsor of the week: YUM plastics

Every boat should have a good selection of YUM dingers in both 4 and 5-inch. They are your friends they will back you up, bail you out, I believe they may very well could bring you your slippers. And oh yeah they catch bass about a hundred or so for me and my clients last two weeks.
Working...
X