No announcement yet.

Umbrella(Alabama) Rig on the Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL you gotta love these things - it almost feels like cabin fever has set in!

Comment

Originally posted by Squire View Post
      Well, if the PRFC says 2 hooks per line (and J1M, one bait with 3 or 4 trebles is explicitly spelled out as ok in the MD DNR rules and reg's), then that is the law...Thanks MDBass79....so there it is.....I guess inside VA tributaries is ok though :)
      Its OK in MD too as long as there are only 2 baits that have one hook ea wink wink!
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Considering that the MD line runs almost to the VA shoreline in most places....we all be breakin the law.
        2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
        2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
        2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
        2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
        sigpic

Comment

Well they be legal on Lake Anna and I got mine today.......
          cheers,
          Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
          Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait!!!!!!!!! Instead of the alabama rig lets call it the "O" bama rig. Thats where steve buys it and I get it lol. You are going to be mugged tomorrow if you beat us with that thing Stevo ha-ha.
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

We can have specific "O" Bama rig tournaments. That's where we all weigh our fish, add up the total, divide by the number of anglers and everybody gets the same weight. Could be the next big thing. Oh yeah, and 40% of the entry fee goes to the "administrators" of the tourney. Be just like having a job.

Comment

now that's REALLY cheating!!!
                sigpic

Comment

The maryland regs say you can use an umbrella rig and its mentioned in their reports just about every week about people trolling for strippers with umbrella rigs. Call the MD DNR for the law, don't just ask your local officers.

Comment

Kinda like hunting with a machine gun I guess, you just throw enough ammo out there your bound to hit what your aiming for or walk it into them. Kinda takes the sport right out of it! Just saying my opinion. I say 1 hook 1 line you can have as much arsenal on deck as you want but throwing it out 1 bait at a time.
                    2017 Ironman winner
                    2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

MDbasser,

I called MD DNR and PRFC , yes you can use an umbrella rig but you can only have two hooks per rig. I was told you can not have 5 hooks on a rig no matter if you fishing for strippers our bass.

Comment

I think that's the way this bait should go, and how I think it will most likely evolve with the tournament rules. Keep the five
                        'baits' out there, but only use them in the teaser role like the traditional umbrella rigs for stripers. One or two hooked baits as allowed by law or tournament rules, and the other 3 or 4 baits are the teasers.

If you want to heave that thing all day long then go for it, but no more than the two hooks.

My .02
                        Wishin' I was fishin'...
                        www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

a traditional umbrella rig only has 2 hooked baits anyhow but usually with two stinger hooks in the larger shad.
                          sigpic
                          VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Thats how I've always had them worked on the bay... the outside 5 baits are dummies and usually smaller baits, and the one trailing behind but centered has the main 4/0 with a 2/0 stinger right before the thinning of the tail so as not to impart on the action.

Comment

we usually run the outer ring as 6 inch teasers with 2 drops, 1 on each side with 4oz parachutes with 9 inch shad.
                              sigpic
                              VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Originally posted by JayT View Post
                                we usually run the outer ring as 6 inch teasers with 2 drops, 1 on each side with 4oz parachutes with 9 inch shad.
                                Very similar to what we use as well for stripers. The fish will 99% of the time go for the lone fish, AKA the one in the back. We use a very similar umbrella like you mentioned and then a 12 to 24+ ounce mojo depending on depth. As to the A-rig, having dummy baits and one or two hooked ones farther back would be very effective I think for bass.
                                Last edited by kickin bass; 11-03-2011, 12:05 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information