Umbrella(Alabama) Rig on the Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umbrella(Alabama) Rig on the Potomac

I called Maryland DNR about the Alabama Rig. They told me that on the tidal potomac in MD that you can NOT use this rig with more than 2 hooks. Does any one know the the VA rules on this for the VA side of the river?

I dont but I would be willing to guess many anglers couldnt tell you where the state line is on the Potomac... Get ready for some tickets!

Comment

DC is the same as MD-No more than two hooks and two lines. Technicaly speaking is a jerk bait with three sets of trebel hooks on it iolating the law?
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
      2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

MD law says----IN TIDAL WATERS OF THE STATE IT IS UNLAWFUL:

4. to use more than two (2) hooks or two (2) sets of hooks for each rod or line. Artificial lures or plugs with multiple hooks are considered one (1) set of hooks.

Comment

FYI....MD Law is NOT in EFFECT on the Tidal Potomac....here is a quote out of VGDIF..

Note: Maryland regulations apply for the Upper Potomac River and the Maryland Potomac River tributaries (call 1-800-688-3467 for current Maryland regulations).
          Note: Potomac River Fisheries Commission regulations are enforced in the Potomac mainstem between the lower District of Columbia border and the mouth of the Potomac (call 1-804-224-7148 or 1-800-266-3904 for current PRFC regulations). Waters between the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Little Falls are controlled by D.C., and a D.C. fishing license is required.
          cheers,
          Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
          Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

I bet it does great in the grass...lol
            Mike c
            sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

Originally posted by g3mike View Post
              I bet it does great in the grass...lol
              Mike c
              :Agree:

Comment

The MD DNR officer I spoke with specifically said this cannot be used with more than 2 hooks on any body of water in MD including the tidal Potomac and the Bay. I have a call into VA DNR, still waiting on a response.

Comment

Originally posted by mdbass79 View Post
                  The MD DNR officer I spoke with specifically said this cannot be used with more than 2 hooks on any body of water in MD including the tidal Potomac and the Bay. I have a call into VA DNR, still waiting on a response.
                  I've got a email into the Potomac River Fisheries Commission. It does not surprise me that there are mismatches in the law about this type of thing. I can't find anywhere were Va limits the number of hooks on an Umbrella rig...Still looking. If this is the case, then be interesting how this mismatch gets settled.
                  cheers,
                  Steve

sigpic

Comment

There is no way that this is true for the Bay. They have been trolling umbrella rigs and tandem rigs for years .
                    sigpic
                    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Squire

I just called the Potomac River Fisheries Commission at (1-804-224-7148) and the said the same thing. No more than 2 hooks per line!!

Comment

I seen KVD drop shoting up to 4 small flukes rigged together so I copied his idea. Looks like I've been breaking the law since guess I'll have to go turn myself in now......
                        Catching largemouth on frogs is like finding the last beer in the fridge.rink:

Comment

Well, if the PRFC says 2 hooks per line (and J1M, one bait with 3 or 4 trebles is explicitly spelled out as ok in the MD DNR rules and reg's), then that is the law...Thanks MDBass79....so there it is.....I guess inside VA tributaries is ok though
                          cheers,
                          Steve

sigpic

Comment

i would like to test this rig in a certain creek on a certain bridge........
                            2010 VAO March Madness Big Bass

sigpicJERKIN JIMMY

Photobucket

Comment

jj, it probably will work in a couple creeks on a couple bridges.
                              sigpic
                              VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Working...
                              X