Island Ford To Elkton- 5/12/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Island Ford To Elkton- 5/12/12

Headed out yesterday with my girlfriend and did the Island Ford to Elkton stretch on the canoe (7 miles). Water temperature was approx. 65 degrees and fishing was by far the best that I have had all year. We ended up catching about 30 bass, mostly smallmouth but a surprising number of largemouths as well. More so than in prior years. Fishing was so good we hardly went a single cast without something on the line. As a side note, does anyone know any of the deepest holes on the South Fork. I got a depth finder for my canoe recently and I found out yesterday that this one hole is 39 feet deep. I always knew it was deep but didn't quite think it was that deep.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing (449x640).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	97544

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laura Fishing (383x640).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	97545
    Last edited by Crick07; 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM.

I had no idea it was that deep anywhere on that stretch! I've never had a depthfinder on the Doah. Congrats on a good day on the river.
    sigpic

Comment

Love that float but the last cpl miles are long ....
      sigpic

CHUCK n DUCK

Comment

nice day with a pretty lady on a pretty river. good work.
        sigpic
        VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Can anyone tell me if my family can tube float that stretch from Island Ford to Elkton? We plan on camping about 2 1/2 mile downriver from Island Ford in 2 weeks putting in at Island Ford but taking out at our campsite (2 1/2 miles downriver). The map looks like maybe a small rapid or two in between so I don't want to have to walk the tubes. Thanks for any helpful information.

Comment

It will depend on the water level at the time, it fluctuates a lot depending on rainfall. I like the level to be at least 2.8' (https://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv?site_no=01628500) to float that section of river, but I've floated it when it's lower.

You may need to wade through a couple of riffles, but you shouldn't have to get out and walk.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X