Fishing Smith Mountain Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing Smith Mountain Lake

Hey guys new to the lake, I am going to be spending a long weekend at Smith Mountain Lake and will have some time to get out and do some fishing. I haven't fished SML very much, but was wondering if you all have any recommendations for baits. I was thinking of doing some deep water cranking with the boat traffic and heat, but I might be wrong. Any advise is much appreciated.

Not a whole lot of the SML guys post on here. You'll find a wealth of information though on this forum http://smlfishingforums.proboards.com/. Heading there for a week myself in about two weeks, looking forward to it.

Comment

I would stick to drop shots or jigs, with this heat they are going to be deeper. I would imagine 15-20 feet, stick to early morning or evening if you can. Look for the structure like ledges and rocks on main lake points

Comment

The lake will be crazy with jetskis, wake boats, water skiers, you name it. Go early and get off the water early.
        2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
        2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
        2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
        2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
        sigpic

Comment

+1 on the sml fishing forum site. It's got a ton of helpful info specific to SML.

You'll catch fish w/ deep cranks but not always. Certainly something to keep handy but I wouldn't hang my hat on that one presentation. Tundra points you in a good direction. I would add offshore structure to the mix (look for flooded timber). The challenge w/ any location on SML in summer is boat traffic. It's insane and will be that way well into SEP and OCT. Fishing at nite isn't necessarily easier - the rec boaters are still active well after the sun goes down.
          sigpic

Comment

good luck you will need...

You can look at going to Leesville which is close by and the boat traffic will be minimal...Leesville usually fishes pretty good
            Make VAO Great again

Comment

Working...
            X