Smith Mountain Lake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Mountain Lake?

Any one have any clues they want to give up about fishing Smith Mountain Lake in Oct? Thanks
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Jim; I was there a few years back in August during a heat wave...(105 degrees everyday). Hit main lake points with C-rigs and drop shots. Caught a few but nothing big. This was from main bridge to upper lake.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    sigpic

Comment

Try coves and shoreline all around the state park. Lots of laydowns.
      TommyV

Comment

Thanks Tom !!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by just1more View Post
          Thanks Tom !!!!!
          Jim, I assume you have seen this, but assumptions are the mother of all emptyl live wells :-).....

http://www.virginiaoutdoorsman.com/content/report.html
          cheers,
          Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
          Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

I fished there ounce few years back on a tx in Sept. nasty cold front came in. A local to the area who was also fishing the tx told me you need to fish a jig with a grub body 3 to 4" lg. I noticed that is what he had tied on. He was 1 out of 5 boats of 35 that came in with fish. He was the only one with a limit and won the new boat and cash. Something tells me he was on to something. He said he didn't mind telling me the info because if I didn't know how to fish it I wasn't going to do much with info. He was right. But I have since spent some time trying to work this out. Have gotten better but not the best.
            I think you need to know more of the lake and its characiteristics, it's large and very deep.
            2017 Ironman winner
            2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

are you going after the smallmouth or largemouth, i used to spend my summer on the lake growing up.
              where are you staying, the lake is very deep and clear near the dam and shallow and stained water above the bridge.
              mike c
              sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

I have no Clue yet Mike, I am anticipating the the FOM Regional will be at SML in mid Oct. The more I think it through the more I believe that the river will be the ticket. I will probably target the SMB and try to get a healthy LMB kicker some where. There will probably be 120 plus boats so getting a top 10 finish will be challanging. As you can tell I am starting to do my home work now, lol. Thanks for the help guys.

sigpic

Comment

Jim,

It's been a long time since I remember this conversation but I had a guy tell me he did something different then most people on Smith and caught a lot of big fish. He said he would fish points with a rattle trap but he was yo-yoing them in about 30'+ of water. I wish I could remember what time of year and all but it was a while back and I didn't pay too much attention to what he was saying because I've never fished there and don't know if I ever will. Wish I had now.
                  I wish I could have fished the whole season this year. I would like to fish that lake.
                  Last edited by Big E; 07-08-2009, 04:10 PM.
                  Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Jim, from my experience in October, I would say drop shot around the 122 bridge. But its been years since I have fished Smith.
                    "Drive it like you stole it." /hell/

Comment

So much will depend on how soon fall weather kicks in or how long the summer weather extends into what should be fall, lol.

sigpic

Comment

That will be a big factor but the bass should be fattining up for the winter.
                        2017 Ironman winner
                        2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

We fished it a cpl years ago - our biggest fish sm & lgm came from the main lake points in clear water throwing pop-r and spooks. In about 30' of water - they would come up and just kill it. Locals told us it was because they are anticipating the shad die off. I dont know we had fun and caught a bunch of fish but we weren't trying to outfish 100 people either.
                          sigpic

CHUCK n DUCK

Comment

Jim, check out BASSMASTERS Magazine this month for Kevin VanDam, he won the BlueRidge Brawl with smallmouths on main lake points on Smith Mountain Lake. Hawgman
                            sigpic

Comment

above the bridge in the dirty water,,, look for wood, thats a solid pattern, down lake senkos and carolina rigs off the deep points and docks. look at the back of the creeks like blackwater for schooling fish down lake.
                              mike c-
                              sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

Working...
                              X