Puppy drum starting to show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puppy drum starting to show

Found a couple pups saturday in warmer waters. 24.5 and just under 26. Lost another that brok me off on an oyster shell...

Click image for larger version

Name:	pups42814.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	97994

Click image for larger version

Name:	resizedpup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	97998
    Caught me counting spots...
    Last edited by ducknbucklures; 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM.

nice man! Got introduced to redfishing last year by my good friend and now I'm hooked...plus they taste good.

Comment

tasty fish and put up a great fight on light tackle!

Comment

Ducknbuck, where were you fishing at? I usually fish in the northern neck or Mobjack.
        sigpic
        VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Great job! They are really chomping in Rudee and Lynnhaven.
          sigpic

Comment

Hey JayT, fishing on the york River and Poq area.

Comment

Originally posted by kickin bass View Post
              Great job! They are really chomping in Rudee and Lynnhaven.
              Yes there are ALOT of fish in rudee inlet right now but the report is out everywhere and the anglers are coming out in droves.

Comment

Nice fish - good eats!

Comment

So, in Looziana we call them redfish or reds. Curious as to where the term 'puppy drum' comes from. I get the drum part - redfish = red drum. What about the puppy part?
                  sigpic

Comment

Juvenile fish. Less than 30" below 10lbs. Stay in near shore environments (coastal rivers, shallow bays, etc..) until they reach adulthood and then some venture off shore until they return to spawn.

Comment

yep, we call them pups if in our keeper slot or smaller... The 40 to 50 lbers are starting to trickle into the bay now, next full moon its on!

Comment

i should have my boat in Poquoson soon. got just a little glass work left to do and then top paint............................................. .....Would go much better if someone on here would repay the favors and help me with MY boat.............................................. JAY

I can't get shallow in my ride for the pups maybe we can trade off a little ducknbucklures the cobia will be here soon
                        sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

Originally posted by ducknbucklures View Post
                          Yes there are ALOT of fish in rudee inlet right now but the report is out everywhere and the anglers are coming out in droves.
                          You got that right. I was in VB the weekend before last. I didn't get to fish but I couldn't believe how many boats and yaks I saw in the back of Rudee. The parking lot at the ramp was so full it looked like it was striper season.

Comment

Originally posted by DucknFish View Post
                            i should have my boat in Poquoson soon. got just a little glass work left to do and then top paint............................................. .....Would go much better if someone on here would repay the favors and help me with MY boat.............................................. JAY

I can't get shallow in my ride for the pups maybe we can trade off a little ducknbucklures the cobia will be here soon
                            POQ River/CHisman Creek is my backyard... literally. Got a 22ft Cobia Catching machine just itching to go. caught over 50 of them brown suits last year before the motor popped. Always welcome to come down for a flats mission too though.

Comment

cool man need to get some knowledge of the area. the Doghouse will be in Whitehouse cove marina for the year looked like a nice place from what i remember as a kid. Wish they had some freaking hotels closer to the marina though
                              sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

Working...
                              X