Some Jumbo Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Jumbo Jacks

So I'm on day 9 or 10 of saltwater fishing the east coast, I can't remember, but its starting to be a little bit of a grind. However, yesterday was spent in Savanah GA fishing for redfish in the Wilmington River - or that was the plan.

We started around 6 AM and got on a few schools of fish. I'm used to a school with maybe 10 to 12 fish, but one school we got on had to be at least 75 to 100 fish minimum.

But they became fairly spooky and then the dolphins showed up. And for those not accustomed to this, dolphin love mullet as do redfish - but they love redfish just as much. So they got a little nervous and stayed tight to the bank.

We decided to make a move and try some new flats but along the way, we came across a school of jack crevalle. There were about a dozen or so all up on the surface in a tight pack- fins out of the water and cruising along. Cast a soft plastic paddle tail in and the fight was on. We were in roughly 15 to 20 feet of water so the fish ran hard outward, as they couldn't go down.

These are some strong fish, and the fight was about 25 minutes. Every time I would gain line, the jack would easily peel drag and make a long run. Finally we got it in, got pics and released her.

At that point it was becoming miserably humid and we had a decision to either chase drum or jacks. But whichever choice it was final as we opted to get off the water by 11. I said let's go for punishment and find jacks. We ran to the Savanah River which is where the container ships roll in and out of the port.

We managed to find a few more groups but none that wanted to eat. We did see several container ships coming in and out - and if you haven't been up close to one, man are they massive. Ot was a great trip, and I have a few more days booked this fall to head back down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4221_20210715_105433.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	108372

Awesome fish, congrats!

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

Nice fish!
        sigpic

Comment