Spawning bass on stumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spawning bass on stumps?

One thing I noticed recently when I was sight fishing for Anna bass on stumps is that they build the nest on the back side of the stump nearest the shore line. I guess that protects the eggs from wind current and boat wakes. Smart little critters them bass are lol. Anyone else notice this? Another thing I noticed is that each bass has a defined strike zone in which it is willing to chase away a predator. IE: One bass will chase away a predator if it gets within 2 or 3 foot of the nest and another bass will only chase a predator away if it gets within a 1 foot to 6 inch radius of the nest. Interesting? I am guessing that the same will be true in grass. They will be in the grass or on the inside edge verses the out side edge.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Jim, Dads biggest fish came off a stump while we were trolling between grass patches. It was a little deeper and all we could see was a dark shadow so we didnt actually see the fish and dont know where it was at. I know he cast past it and said it hit we he came over the stump. Everything you said makes total sense though. Those bass have been spawning year after year and im sure theyhave figure out little tricks like that. The strike zone you mentioned is a big key to fishing slow. I think thats why is so important to fish every bit of the grass you can. I caught one little buck bass on a fluke sat and thats all i could get on a moving bait. I think the big fish we caught were spawning in the grass and not concerned with a shad swimmin around over their heads. It wasnt until our little crawfish lookin creature baits hit real close their bed, or where they were about to, that they would strike. Just my opinion
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Comment

jim most of the time in my experience those willow grass spawners will spawn in the middle of the grass in some break or hole or on the back edge. Occasionally you will see a front edge spawner but generally they are all within or behind the grass.
      sigpic
      VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

I also think grass spawners are much easier to catch because they are protected on all 4 sides, when you side fish at Lake Chesdin in the grass it can get flat out easy. The fish that are in less protected grass areas or on stumps take a lot more work to catch.
        sigpic
        VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

I wonder if the water depth or the slope of the bank has something to do with what side of a stump they prefer to spawn on? Just a few weeks ago at gaston most of the ones I found on stumps were on the front side of the stump in about 3 feet of water. It was also the side of the stump on the banks I was fishing that got the afternoon sun.
          2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner
          2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Big Bass

Comment

if we fish these big fish and do not put them back who will make fish for the next generations??????????? Don't get me wrong i love to fish for the big ones but i have no luck for them...

Comment

That's why i fish for cat's and striper for the freezer, never have kept either of the two bass i've caught!!! :)

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information