Trolling motor advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling motor advise

I'm about to pull the trigger on a trolling motor upgrade for my old Triton. I want a unit with spotlock capability. I run Hummingbird electronics. I'm going to go ahead and self ID as a total technotard. I'm unlikely to get all into the electronics side of this stuff. It's just not me. I'm sticking with a 24v/80lb as I don't want to add a battery and I have yet to ever be in a situation that 80lb of thrust wouldn't handle. I want to just be able to run spot lock when it's windy. Any suggestions from you guys who have already upgraded?

I'm in the same boat as you...I plan on upgrading to the Ultrex here in the next few months.
    Make VAO Great again

Comment

Have an 80 lb 24v Ultrex with spotlock and best TM I've ever had............

Comment

OK, just from looking at the MinnKota webpage, the Ulterra and Ultrex seem to have the same basic features, but there is about $500 in price difference. What's the advantage of the Ultrex?

Comment

Originally posted by Gsniper View Post
          OK, just from looking at the MinnKota webpage, the Ulterra and Ultrex seem to have the same basic features, but there is about $500 in price difference. What's the advantage of the Ultrex?
          I don't believe the Ulterra has spot lock
          Make VAO Great again

Comment

The new brushless motor from Lowrance and Garmin and Motorguide are easier on the juice as well, but they cost a bit more. Everyone who has the Ghost (Lowrance) that I have seen has
            loved it. I went from a Fortrex to a Ultrex and the bolt pattern was the same so I didn't need to put in new holes. I am very satisfied with the Ultrex, though I did have the proverbial frozen
            footpedal (replace the board inside). If I was going to upgrade, I would be taking a strong look at the Motorguide as it has the all cable steering. The Ghost and Garmin Force allows 24 or 36v, so if you ever
            decide to add the additional battery, you can do so without upgrading your TM. Integrating the Electronics with the TM is a cool feature as you can have tracks shown on your Electronics and then tell your TM to follow it, so you can 100% focus on fishing....Personally, having a wireless footpedal like the Garmin is something I want to see more actual peoples feedback before I would ever consider it.
            cheers,
            Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
            Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

I'll take a look at the Motorguide. I'd prefer to stick with cabled steering. Thanks for the advise guys! I'm finding it odd that I'm about to hang 3k worth of trolling motor on a 20yo boat.

Comment

I went with an 80lb 45" Ultrex. Now, if I can ever get it shipped. Backorder item. Go figure.

Comment

you will like it :)
                  cheers,
                  Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                  Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

+1 - I love my Ultrex. the spot lock function is the shizz.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm strictly a winter time fisherman these days. I need that spotlock so I can really work over a point in the wind.

Comment

Working...
                      X