No announcement yet.

Idiot alert on the james river-would like your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have PTSD and I exercise special caution when dealing with azzholes of all kinds - on the water, on the road, wherever. I've learned to deal with it in high stress situations. Takes a little skill and a lotta patience. That said . . .

My recommended course of action would be to write down the boat #s and report them to the TD. I would not have engaged in any kind of verbal altercation (but that's me). My second course of action would have been to throw that crank bait right at the azzholein question. You were there first so you throw whereev you want. If he doesn't like it . . .
    sigpic

Comment

I can agree that a little courtesy is all that is needed.

What I can't understand is why you would choose to fish the James out of Osbourne on the same day the Priority is fishing. I wouldn't expect anything less than your end result. Fishing two spots right next to the ramp with 140 boats launching behind you is never going to end well. That sounded like a day to launch out of Rockahock or on Chickahominy Lake.
      sigpic
      VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

I am on TM's side here. If I want to go fishing, why should I care if there is a Tx? He obviously got his butt up early and got on his spots before the Tx guys, so he did what he needed to do. To criticize someone for not knowing or ignoring the fact a major Tx would be held, well, its all public water and if I want to fish, "damn the crankbaits, TM is on high"
        Originally posted by JayT View Post
        I can agree that a little courtesy is all that is needed.

What I can't understand is why you would choose to fish the James out of Osbourne on the same day the Priority is fishing. I wouldn't expect anything less than your end result. Fishing two spots right next to the ramp with 140 boats launching behind you is never going to end well. That sounded like a day to launch out of Rockahock or on Chickahominy Lake.
        cheers,
        Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
        Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Squire View Post
          I am on TM's side here. If I want to go fishing, why should I care if there is a Tx? He obviously got his butt up early and got on his spots before the Tx guys, so he did what he needed to do. To criticize someone for not knowing or ignoring the fact a major Tx would be held, well, its all public water and if I want to fish, "damn the crankbaits, TM is on high"
          While I agree with you in theory, Steve, I think that's the ideal, and not the reality. As a mostly-fun-fisherman, I will intentionally avoid the particular areas where I know there are large tournaments launching, because I personally know, and acknowledge, how that will most likely frustrate me. I think this would be a particularly good approach for someone dealing with major PTSD issues as well.
          sigpic
          sigpic

Comment

All the more reason for Tx anglers to be polite. Never know when your rude behavior might be to some veteran with PTSD who might board your boat and kick your azz for being a self-righteous SOB. Or maybe they will just shoot you, ahem, with a camera and turn you in to the TD....
            Originally posted by JustOneMoreCast View Post
            I think this would be a particularly good approach for someone dealing with major PTSD issues as well.
            cheers,
            Steve

sigpic

Comment

I've been tournament fishing for 30 years now ad have never had an issue like that. Periodically somebody will cut in front of me on a bank a little too close and irritate me mildly, but not everybody has the same level of "polite". Now if somebody threatens to beat me up on the water, we have reached a whole new level of stupid. I ran in on a guided striper trip on SML once in the fog fishing down a bank (trolling motor speed) and the guide broke crappy with me so I just fired up the 150 and did about 20 circles around his pontoon. Every man has a breaking point..............

I do not condone violence on the water, but I understand it. LOL

Comment

Some question why he was fishing on a tourney day, Well, the weekends are the only time i get to fish. I was at Riverton last weekend and there was a tourney goin on. I'm not goin home because of it that's for sure, but i'm in a 12' jon boat. so when i saw glass boats coming down the bank toward me i just moved on and gave them space because I felt it was the right thing to do. I "chose" to be courteous to them out of respect for my fellow angler, Had they tried to "force" me out of the way then we'd have words, all anyone would have had to do was be courteous back and ask me if i minded them fishing where i was and i'd be gone, Sometimes another's attitude, good or bad influences mine! With me, i treat people how they treat me.

Comment

On Saturday during the tourney i had two guy's in a boat fly by my boat goin 45-50mph about 40-50' away, i threw up my hands like "come on man", they came back by me the next time and slowed down, i had spotted two LMB in the 18-21'' range while fishing the bank, i waved them over and showed them where i'd seen them, they were grateful for the tip and everything was cool!

Comment

That was probably Cash flying by you!

I agree with TM and Steve's point that a certain level of respect needs to be shown on the water. What I was saying is that what you expect and what you are going to get is 2 different things. If I am out fun fishing I want to have fun not deal with 150 boats...to each there own.
                    Make VAO Great again

Comment

I am fun fishing tomorrow, probably Lake Anna because the River might be too choked with Debris. Depends on what my daughter wants to do. Its her day. Is it going to be a fun day? You Bet! Do I care about the bazillion pleasure boaters and their tubes and their inattentive ways or the over abundance of Water Cops that will be out IN FORCE since this is BUI awareness weekend??? Heck no, its fishing man.....
                      Originally posted by PsuHntr View Post
                      That was probably Cash flying by you!

I agree with TM and Steve's point that a certain level of respect needs to be shown on the water. What I was saying is that what you expect and what you are going to get is 2 different things. If I am out fun fishing I want to have fun not deal with 150 boats...to each there own.
                      cheers,
                      Steve

sigpic

Comment

I agree I shouldn't need to worry about which f'd is where.. But being mainly a rec with no interest in tx's, I still pay attention to their schedules... I choose to fish weekdays now, screw that mess and rudeness.. When you have a lineup and call #'s, something about that tends to trigger abnormal behavior in men with a high powered boat.. I just blow it over knowing most have $60-70k in investments for fishing, and they paid a $150-200 entry fee to try and win a grand or two bwhahahahaha... I'd rather just have fun and not worry about a thing, not even when I need to be back at the ramp..

Today we left at 9am, fishing by 10:30, and home by 8:30 and it was relaxing all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Squire View Post
                          Steve you know I agree with you on the courtesy issue, and You know that I won't cut people off nor would you. We however are talking about the James River which fishes very very small with more wasted water than fishable water. i compare this to fishing Party Cove, Smallwood, the Thorofare and Marsh Island and being upset when 8,000 tournament boats show up to fish those areas.

Is it how it should work? NO. Is it the way it is absolutely. Hell I've seen rec. fisherman like EJP act more like a lunatic than some big shot patch pirate tournament "pro"....
                          sigpic
                          VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Comment

Originally posted by JayT View Post
                            Hell I've seen rec. fisherman like EJP act more like a lunatic than some big shot patch pirate tournament "pro"....
                            That just goes without saying Jay, not the best of analogies, in my opinion. :Fishing:
                            Wishin' I was fishin'...
                            www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Lets make VAO great again!
                              Make VAO Great again

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information