Ultrex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrex

Anyone out there that has upgraded to the Ultrex whom would like to share some feedback? Thinking of rolling with the ultrex myself but still a little hesitant. Also curious if anyone has used there unit in very shallow grassy water....
    "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane"

- Waylon Jennings

Do it. Worth every penny. Works well in grass. You will not regret doing this.
    sigpic

Comment

So far I love mine. Only had it out 3 times so have not fully used it. Grass so far I have not seen any, but most likely I will use polls in grass to hold a position.
      But did spot lock in a position in some wind and was able to fish anywhere in boat while it stayed in place. Also used it to retie another bait why it held me from being blown across what I was fishing.
      2017 Ironman winner
      2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

- Waylon Jennings

Comment

I switched, and will never go back. PowerPoles are still better for shallow areas in the Potomac, but if you want to setup on a point, brushpile, rockpile, channel swing and bang away, Ultrex is the real deal. You do need to be pointed in the wind, or it will happen automagically
          cheers,
          Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
          Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

I'm with the other Ultrex owners as well. Great TM and Spot Lock is the shizzle. Only things I don't like about it......(but can live with)...
            1)...kind of noisy when in spot lock when turning to keep position
            2)...power cable front foot to head is long and somewhat cumbersome
            3)...the head sits up MUCH higher than a regular TM....your old boat cover will need retrofitting.
            2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
            2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
            2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
            2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
            "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Larry, is the motor noisy when turning without spotlock enabled?

Also, does anyone know if you can still steer if the steering assist goes out?

- Waylon Jennings

Comment

Originally posted by natron View Post

If you make a hard turn....like a U turn....yes.
                Not sure about the steering assist.
                2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
                2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
                2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
                2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
                "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                sigpic

Comment

As everyone says, worth every penny. I had the Motorguide xi5, so I have been used to the spotlock and route feature for years. This one is way better and stays in a smaller zone when it is on spot lock. Much more nimble due to the power steering assist. You get used to the noise. I have used it to run grass lines I have found at the Potomac this year (only a few of them around) and saved them in my routes. Very easy to fish when don't have to run the trolling motor. I set it on low and run my line and back again. Holds great even in windy conditions. I would suggest one of the replacement prop nuts. Dampens the vibration and it's supposed to help with motor noise although I have my doubts. Definitely helps with the vibration though.
                  Thanks,
                  Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by natron View Post

I know because steering assist failed on my early unit. you cannot steer if the board in the footpedal fails.....no free lunch on this one....typically you can still use the remote to steer in this failure case.
                    cheers,
                    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

I installed mine in Feb. it came in handy for my silver buddy fishing and fishing for crappie and striper. Worked good in the chick and james rivers too. Potomac river is next and I’m sure it will work there too.
                      2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                      2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas, great to be able to get quality feedback from reputable folks.

- Waylon Jennings

Comment

Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

Comment

Working...
                          X