James River clear water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James River clear water

Where does the James start to get muddy brown? I'm thinking of a float trip this fall and want to fish clear water, if that's possible.
    When fly fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will fly fish.

Skip the James and do the New. Better fishing. Bit more of a drive, but well worth it.

Comment

The James always has some color to it, even in the upper reaches vic Roanoke. The section above the tidal break vic Richmond is usually pretty clear. Gnfsnva (Erik) did a float last year (year before?) on the upper James - recommend reaching out to him for details. River was pretty clear where I dropped him off.
      sigpic

Comment

I'm actually making a similar and much longer float on the James next week with some church youth. We are floating about 50-miles, from Iron Bridge where the James starts down to Natural Bridge Station.

I'll provide full report upon return.

Should be very clear up that way.
        Wishin' I was fishin'...
        www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll look forward to your report.

I'd love to fish the New, but all I have is a canoe and I think the river might be a little too big.

Comment

Naaah. There are wide/fast sections but otherwise the New is easily navigable by canoe.
            sigpic

Comment

I've run the New in a canoe all my life.

Comment

The James looks terrible right now, but tons of great trips on the upper James

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                  The James looks terrible right now, but tons of great trips on the upper James
                  The best part of the James is the 20 miles between Gathright and Covington- Mostly trout water and easily accessible- At Covington it goes through a paper mill and it's downhill from there. Water is black at Iron Gate and clears somewhat by Eagle Rock.
                  If you float the clear section, you can check the daily release at Gathright. 400cfs is perfect for canoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yooper View Post
                    Thanks guys. I'll look forward to your report.

I'd love to fish the New, but all I have is a canoe and I think the river might be a little too big.
                    Yep, youre in good shape with a canoe

Comment

Originally posted by jacker1 View Post
                      The best part of the James is the 20 miles between Gathright and Covington- Mostly trout water and easily accessible- At Covington it goes through a paper mill and it's downhill from there. Water is black at Iron Gate and clears somewhat by Eagle Rock.
                      If you float the clear section, you can check the daily release at Gathright. 400cfs is perfect for canoes.
                      Man you have it made compared to us down here in Richmond, the James is so muddy you could almost walk on it.

Comment

Isn't that the Jackson that flows through Covington?

Comment

Originally posted by Yooper View Post
                          Isn't that the Jackson that flows through Covington?
                          You are correct- The James begins at Iron Gate at the intersection of the Jackson and Cowpasture- You can stand at that intersection and see black water meeting the clear water of the Cowpasture. Even fish caught on the dark side of the river are darker colored. You were looking for clear water on the James and this may be the best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by jacker1 View Post
                            You are correct- The James begins at Iron Gate at the intersection of the Jackson and Cowpasture- You can stand at that intersection and see black water meeting the clear water of the Cowpasture. Even fish caught on the dark side of the river are darker colored. You were looking for clear water on the James and this may be the best solution.
                            Maybe our ideas of 'clear' are different? I thought the James up that way was very clear. When you say 'black' do you just mean like a tanic dark water? I think I know what you mean, but even when tanic and 'dark', its still very clear with several feet of visibility.

Either way, I guess I'll find out in a few days. Hopefully I can tackle one of them big musky...
                            Wishin' I was fishin'...
                            www.lds.org

https://www.instagram.com/lundeerik/

sigpic

Comment

generally the water in the upper james is extremely clear...like see the bottom in 4/8 feet of water clear...obviously after a rain it might dirty up but its generally clear water
                              Make VAO Great again

Comment

Working...
                              X