This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirtman View Post
    So about how many man hours went into this Curly?
    I'd say 10-12 hrs on this one, but will probably go down to 6-7 hrs/fish once I get enough practice. Fish now weighs 3 lbs, of which 2 lbs is filler.....so a little less than half its original weight.

Comment

Very nice, I think if I catch another giant I may ask you about your services if your interested.
      2017 Ironman winner
      2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Originally posted by skeet1 View Post
        Very nice, I think if I catch another giant I may ask you about your services if your interested.
        I will not be opening a taxidermy business, but will be glad to help you out where I can as this is a hobby now. Will not be a permanent resident at Anna until next spring sometime. I could use a couple donated 5-7 lb LMBs and 8+ lb stripers/hybrids to practice on :p .

Comment

This has been one of the best threads I've read - tons of effort not only into the fish but into sharing it in a way we could all understand. Thanks, dood!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curly View Post
            I will not be opening a taxidermy business, but will be glad to help you out where I can as this is a hobby now. Will not be a permanent resident at Anna until next spring sometime. I could use a couple donated 5-7 lb LMBs and 8+ lb stripers/hybrids to practice on :p .
            Would you want a snakehead to practice on?
            Make VAO Great again

Comment

Originally posted by 31Airborne View Post
              This has been one of the best threads I've read - tons of effort not only into the fish but into sharing it in a way we could all understand. Thanks, dood!
              I agree, one of the coolest in a while

Comment

Originally posted by PsuHntr View Post
                Would you want a snakehead to practice on?
                Not yet........have 2 in the freezer to practice on. Not sure how to paint one at the moment? :confused: First couple might turn out to really look like Frankenfish! :eek: After doing these two, I'll decide if they will look realistic or not and whether to keep trying on snakeheads. I am not aware of any taxidermist in VA that does snakeheads. I'll let you know after these two are done!

Comment

Here goes bass #2 (9.87 lbs)........pic after catching it in March

Skinned out this morning........

Will stuff tomorrow after curing the skin overnight.

Comment

Stuffed her this morning. Definitely a bigger belly than the first one. Now wait around 2 weeks to dry.

Comment

Hey Curly, is there ever any way to get the belly as full as the pic of it in the net? Or because of the incision and the stuffing process, there really isnt a way?

Comment

Yeah, I probably could have extended the belly a little more when stuffing. It is definitely fuller than a average bass belly. After freezing and thawing this fish, the belly did not appear as extended as when fresh and may have to do with it being really full of roe. This pic shows the fullness a little better?

Found another fresh fish pic of same fish that does not show belly so extended as it was in the net.

Comment

So, while waiting on the 9 lb bass to completely dry, I decided to start on my first striper in over 30 years, and 3rd ever. Here is the fish after catching it in May and was 28".

Now thawing out to skin out tomorrow morning.

Comment

The striper was skinned out this morning.

now soaking in cure overnight.

Comment

This morning I sewed up the gullet and tail.

Then filled the fish with fish filler mache and finished sewing up. Carded all the fins and gills, shaped into position and is now drying.

Comment

Wow this is a lot of work, thank you for sharing

Comment

Working...
                                X