X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curly
    replied
    Worked on the snakehead a little this morning. Applied finflex and backing to all the fins.

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Stuffed this morning and drying................

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    After a long break I have started on the first Northern Snakehead. It's about a 4 pounder.

It was so slimy that I had to soak it in alum to remove the slime.

After removing the slime it took about 2 hours to skin out.

Placed it in a borax solution to cure the skin overnight.

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Striper is painted.

Not too bad, but I need to o a better job on the lateral spots next time.

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Fins have been trimmed and eyes have been set. Should be able to paint in the next day or two!

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian View Post
    I will try to find you a crappie, if I get one big enough I will freeze it for you. The snakehead would be killer.
    Wrap the fish in a wet towel and make sure to protect the fins. Then place into a kitchen garbage bag and freeze it flat.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    I will try to find you a crappie, if I get one big enough I will freeze it for you. The snakehead would be killer.

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Agree about under the jaw line. Will make it whiter on the next bass. Do want to try a crappie, but I'll need a slab that is at least 15". Small fish are difficult to skin out without poking holes in the skin......and crappie have a thin skin to boot. Never done a crappie before.

When the striper is finished, I will attempt 2 snakheads that are about 4 lbs each. Worried about what the painting will look like when done.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    Hey Curly, only objective criticism like you asked - and you are killing it with these! Of the two bass, I like the top one. Its the mouth the belly the tail angle etc. However, the light greenish color seems just a hair too bright of a green under the jaw line along the head- but like I said I would suck at doing this. The striper is awesome and cant wait to see it completed.

You are doing something really cool that most of us have never touched, I really like seeing this come along and hope you will continue to share with us! Maybe a crappie next?

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Fins on the striper were coated with fin-flex this morning to protect them and make flexible.

Will seal the back and set the eyes after that has dried.

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Thanks fellas. The paints are semi-transparent taxidermy paints....wet look gloss is on both, but the angle does not show it well in the pic.

Leave a comment:

• Stratos 283 FS
    replied
    It's hard to tell in the picture, it the paint gloss or semi-gloss? When we see a fish it's right out of the water and that makes it shine. They don't look wet, but that could just be the picture.

The position of the mouth looks much better on the second one, and the whiter belly looks better as well (in my humble opinion). The both look great, much better than anything I could ever do.

Leave a comment:

• PsuHntr
    replied
    I agree that the top one looks a little better and more realistic ..the bottom one seems to dark and the mouth seems to big...not that the bottom one looks bad but the top one looks really good

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Here is the first (bottom) and second (top) bass I have done.

I'm thinking the top one looks more realistic in position (head-to-tail) and in the painting.
    All comments are welcomed on what does and does not look good or realistic, so that LMB #3 looks even better......got to catch it first.

Leave a comment:

• curly
    replied
    Continued...........
    The black reticulation lines, patches, and spots are painted next.

Finally, a good coat of gloss is put on. This brings the colors out very well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X