Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CONTEST - What is your most memorable day fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONTEST - What is your most memorable day fishing?

A new contest for you guys, but a few guidelines along with it.

Up for grabs
    I have $30-40 worth of hand poured finesse worms and such up for grabs

How to win
    First - must have at least 10 posts in the NEW board. Your profile tells you the number of posts - or click on a topic that you replied to - once you see your reply - the upper right hand corner tells you how many posts you have. If you dont have 10, then take a look through the forums and engage others and get to at least 10.

Second - POST IN THIS THREAD and tell us what your most memorable day was on the water. What made it stand out. Dont be skimpy on your reply but dont write a book either - a nice paragraph or two.

I will select a winner on Friday Feb 1, 2008.

Make sure you have at least 10 posts, if not take a stroll through the many threads and engage in conversation with others and up your posts. Then make sure you post in here about your most memorable day.

I hope you arent giving away my secret colors Brian!
    sigpic

Comment

Out of the boat

Most memorable was pre fishing before a fishers of men tournament last June.
      We were heading to fish aquia creek and hit something at about 50 mph. Both of us were ejected from the boat. Luckily the kill switch was attached which not only saved the boat from ending up in the Chesapeake but the motor was jammed to the right which would have brought it right back over us. Other than lost glasses, a few rods and cell phones we were able to limp back to the marina. Ended up catching 20+ fish on Saturday!
      Wear your life jackets and kill switches, they save lives!
      Last edited by seekingfish; 01-27-2008, 09:49 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

When is it time to call it a day?

Early Summer mourning NICE!
        Until...
        Still dark, just getin everything where I want it, Whats this? WATER! in the boat getting deeper!!!
        Got excited launched boat with out plug!!!...Wholly [email protected]%T!!!!
        Got plug in while in the water scary as plug is out side of boat (drop it, sunk it)...
        Got the plug in.
        Docked boat ran back to truck loaded boat back on, Drained(1 1/2 hours)
        About 300 Gallons worth.
        Faulty sump,(not anymore)
        O.K.
        Lets go fishin.
        At the first spot (Dukes Creek)Got hung up on a log.
        Trolled up to it, reached down to undo the snag and BAM trollin motor hits something and sends me in the drink!!!
        Now I'm Pissed.
        Cell phone now toast!
        Get my s%$t together and carry on to the next spot.
        Wet and Hard nipples now I decide To Fish Along Dike 2.
        Well this was a mistake!!!
        After goin about halfway with no problems.
        Ding Ding Ding!
        snaged in the rocks.
        Well lets go get it!
        Stupid Stupid Stupid!!!!
        Snagged otu of the water about a third the way up get out of the boat to unsnag the 2$ bait.
        this took about 1 min. turned around and the boat was now a swim away!!!!!!
        To my amazement I sat on the rock as my boat slowly drift away from me.
        What can you do! Laughing Histerically.:o
        With pole in mouth like friggin tarzan dove in to retrieve my life toy.
        This is when I came to terms It was time to call it a day, all before 10 AM.
        Not One Fish!!!
        The lesson...
        Read this and never do what My Dumbass did.
        sigpicFISH-ON Giggity...

Comment

OK - I cant help but chuckle - I didnt think anyone else had the kind of luck I do...

Last year or so my brother and a buddy were catfishing the Chick during the shad run and had a guy go between them and the bank - guy up front pitching a bait hits a stumps and does a somersault in to the water in March. They said the guy in the back of the boat laughed for 5 minutes.

Comment

After just a few stories it's amazing that boating and fishing have not been listed as an extreme sport. Another quick story from last year.
            My fishing partners brother took his brand spanking new Nitro boat from bass pro shop to Lake Chesdin last year, got it in the water and couldn't get it started. He kept cranking and cranking, swearing and swearing and as we watched it started smoking and then flames started pouring out of his battery compartment. Someone forgot to solidly connect his ground wire and all that cranking heated it up so much that a piece of the plastic cover caught on fire. We put it out and fixed the ground and went fishing.

An hour later he signaled to us frantically from across the lake because he was taking on water faster than he could pump it out. THere was a huge hole in his live well drain hose and water was coming in from the lake. We fixed that problem with a Rubber Frog, the red one worked best!
            sigpic

Comment

lol!
              yeah the stories of tradgedy seem more amusing.
              sigpicFISH-ON Giggity...

Comment

This is probably the best topic in this whole site!

I Love this....

Here's one I'll never forget. This was a few years ago... we had been catching some huge Stripers uplake so we decided to stay out all night one Friday. We took my buddy's pontoon boat and headed out. We caught some fish but that wasn't the memorable part... On our way back pretty much right in front of the mouth of Sturgeon Creek the pontoon boat ran out of gas!:eek: So it's about midnight, our cell phones are dead and we're however many miles away from the dock.

Ok so me and Chris decide to try to lay the Bimini top forward and sail the pontoon boat home like a pirate ship!!

It actually worked, kind of, we had a good tailwind and we could actually steer with the outboard. It got us all the way back to the mouth of Dukes Creek by about 3 in the morning. Chris had fallen asleep by then so i jabbed him in the ribs with an ore and we paddled our way to the dock...

I'll never forget that, and I'll never forget to check the gas tank, not the gauge!!
                www.hookedonlakeanna.com
                540-287-3591

sigpic

Comment

up in smoke?

This is straight from the fishing log as written by my wife - as some of you know we have a 21' tracker deck boat with an enclosure so we can sleep on the boat - the boat is a 2000 - this is from 2004.

the story

It all started with 5 little words "lets buy a camping enclosure". Little did we know...

Friday April 30th

Kept kids out of school for "educational" field trip to anna. Engine caught fire. YES fire, we could still see Martha's (High Point Marina). Threw water on it instead of extinguisher. Probably saved some grief later. Used tolling motor to get back to Anna Point. Bill went to Mercury dealer to see what it could be - Bob from anna pt explained that the voltage regulator on the 01 mercury has a history of melting and catching fire. He sold Bill and new one and let him use some tools. Bill pulled the boat out parked it in the shade and set out to fix it. He never gave up and had us fishing by 12:30 pm. No going home for us. Fishing was good Bill caught several nice bass and yes, Amy caught a pickeral and a bass. Forgot camera in truck so I guess they don't count. Camped at "the islands" our first night. Enclosure went up smoothly. Floor uncomfortable. The night went well - kids exhausted - water calm.

encloseure = $ 2000
                  motor parts = $ 250
                  2250 to save 100 on a hotel room

but we taught the kids to never give up and make the best of every situation

- We still laugh when we read the old logs we have been through some stuff but that is what makes it fun - and there is still black paint missing from the fiberglass engine cowel - and i have never rewired the boat from that day - it is exactly as it was when we put it back in the water.
                  sigpic

CHUCK n DUCK

Comment

My most memorable fishing story is actually a very recent event. In October of 2007, my Brother and I, and some friends of his, decided that we needed to go to Portsmouth Island and do some surf fishing for red drum. We decided that we didn't need to pay for one of the few cabins on the island, that we would sleep in tents. We drive all the way down there, pay 75 bucks for the vehicle ferry to get us on the island, and another 30 bucks in bait. We arrive and get right to fishing. Then the rain started. The first night we set up the tents in the wind and rain, and had to put the coolers inside the tents in the corners to keep them down. It rained so hard the whole week that the rain would actually come through the zippers on the tent. If you have never been to the Island, then let me take a second to tell you that it is extremely primitive. And with the price of the ferry, you take what you need the first time or you live without it. If I had been doing anything other than fishing, I would have packed up and left. I caught 5 drum total during the trip and can't wait to go back this year.

Comment

Tomorrow is it! Be sure to post up your story!

Comment

Every year my buddies and I head up to Canada to do nothing but fish and drink beer for a week. They travel from Cleveland which takes half as much time. 2 years ago - I had just purchased my first new bass boat and was all giddy because we were going to use it. To this point the longest I had hauled was from BPS to Lake Anna - I was still doing the weave thing when I lauched, etc. Well after 12 hours of being on the road and not an incident, I was feeling really good about myself. I beat the guys up there and my job was to unload - set up the cabin, and then I thought - I'll get 2 - 3 hours on the River by myself and catch all kinds of fish to make them jealous. To launch the boat there is a very small turnabout straight into the river - I negotiated it with ease, backed it straight into the river and even figured a cool way to tie off the boat so it wouldn't float away after leaving the trailer. I pulled the boat up on shore and drove back to the cabin - backed into the gate and called the wife to tell her what a cool dude I was. The first question she asks me "did you put the plug in?" - ooops - I sprinted the mile from the cabin to the launch to find my swimming pool of a boat full of water to the casting deck. My 2 - 3 hours of free fishing time turned into bailing and trying to figure out how not to catch grief from the buddies when they got there. It took 4/5 hours of the bilge working overtime to drain. Each time I punched it one of the guys would have to climb to trolling motor - just to get the bow down....
                        Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250
                        sigpic

Comment

I feel you bro!
                          sigpicFISH-ON Giggity...

Comment

Originally posted by outfishinu View Post
                            Early Summer mourning NICE!
                            Until...
                            Still dark, just getin everything where I want it, Whats this? WATER! in the boat getting deeper!!!
                            Got excited launched boat with out plug!!!...Wholly [email protected]%T!!!!
                            Got plug in while in the water scary as plug is out side of boat (drop it, sunk it)...
                            Got the plug in.
                            Docked boat ran back to truck loaded boat back on, Drained(1 1/2 hours)
                            About 300 Gallons worth.
                            Faulty sump,(not anymore)
                            O.K.
                            Lets go fishin.
                            At the first spot (Dukes Creek)Got hung up on a log.
                            Trolled up to it, reached down to undo the snag and BAM trollin motor hits something and sends me in the drink!!!
                            Now I'm Pissed.
                            Cell phone now toast!
                            Get my s%$t together and carry on to the next spot.
                            Wet and Hard nipples now I decide To Fish Along Dike 2.
                            Well this was a mistake!!!
                            After goin about halfway with no problems.
                            Ding Ding Ding!
                            snaged in the rocks.
                            Well lets go get it!
                            Stupid Stupid Stupid!!!!
                            Snagged otu of the water about a third the way up get out of the boat to unsnag the 2$ bait.
                            this took about 1 min. turned around and the boat was now a swim away!!!!!!
                            To my amazement I sat on the rock as my boat slowly drift away from me.
                            What can you do! Laughing Histerically.:o
                            With pole in mouth like friggin tarzan dove in to retrieve my life toy.
                            This is when I came to terms It was time to call it a day, all before 10 AM.
                            Not One Fish!!!
                            The lesson...
                            Read this and never do what My Dumbass did.

So it was time for me to pick one - I have to admit that there were some very good stories. But overall, this one made me laugh the most because it was a mirror image of some of my days. Congrats to Outfishinu for winning - more contests to come.

Comment

Thank you all!!!
                              sigpicFISH-ON Giggity...

Comment

Working...
                              X