winterizing reminders, even if your dont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winterizing reminders, even if your dont

for those that winterize and those that dont, there are still a few things you need to do to be ready for cold weather...

1.. Your electronics dont like cold weather... take them inside till you go fishing..

2. you trolling motor should not be stored outside if you have a motorguide digital or another type with a computer board... also,, the digtal model will draw power when ever it is pulled in... alway unplug it...

3.if you use your boat and it gets wet... always prop open the door a 1/2 inch with a small piece of pvc or other object... but not to high.. if the carpet is wet it will freeze and the door will not open...its not fub to get to the water and your door to youre tackle is frozen shut...

4. to help protect the boat, buy a silver pvc tarp and cover your regualr cover .. make a tee pee over the cover and tie it to the trailer with bungee straps for easy removal...it will help the snow just fall off and make sure your regualr does not leak and freeze to your carpet...

5... always blow out your water pressure gauge line.. or install a t connect to allow it to drain..

please add to the list...we are here to help others...

mike c

mike c
    sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Always add "Sta-Bil" Fuel treatment to your fuel, if it is to set for a month or more. Always refill your tank to keep condensation from forming in the fuel tank. It is even more susceptible now because of the "Ethanol" that is in all the fuel we get around here. Keep your "DeepCycle Batteries" fully charged to keep them from freezing.
    P.S. Crank over the engine in the Winter months so the water pump and the impeller do not freeze when you load it on the trailer./tu/
    Last edited by HAWGMAN; 12-12-2009, 11:51 PM. Reason: Postscript
    sigpic

Comment

Pull the drain plugs in your livewells, and the main boat plug. Take out Spike-It, suntan lotions, fish attractants.....anything that might frezee and bust the container.
      2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
      2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
      2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
      2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
      sigpic

Comment

nice add ons guys... i alway pull the plug, but i dont stop there, i push half a paper towel in the hole to wick up any water, just make sure the other half is lower than the boat.. it removes any water that might get in there and remove it from the boat,,, in my early years of boating i had a leaf stop up my hole, a simple paper towel would have prevented that headache

mike c

p.s. make sure you use the blue stabil.. the red is not made for ethanol...
        sigpic

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Comment

I would also consider fogging the motor as well

Comment

I run merc fuel stablizer and quickleen in my motor all year long. It has done very well over the last 4 years.
            Jr.

sigpic

Comment

Fogging is good if you are putting her away for the winter totally. I never know when the temps will allow me to get out, so I do only the stuff that is really necessary on a temporary basis. I will also second Mike's idea to cover your other cover (if your boat is outside) with a good quality tarp and tie it down so it doesn't hold water, snow or ice.
              "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
              sigpic

Comment

my goal in writing this was to help those out that dont winterize, but continue to use there boats all winter...
                if you do winterize and put it away for the winter, i would recomend you take it to a quality dealer and have it checked out... it may seem like everything is ok,,, but thats not always the case....as we have seen from a few that have taken theirs in this winter..
                mike c
                sigpic

Comment

I use RV potable water antifreeze and pour it in the pumps when I get home from fishing. I even poor some in through the prop to the lower unit housing too.
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
                  2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Jim as a good suggestion here. I use my boat through out the winter sometimes more than in the spring and summer combined. I take the RV anti-freeze in a smaller bottle and kept on the boat when i am fishing the weekend somewhere usually SML i will pour it in the hull of the boat to make sure the pump doesn't freeze. i also will plug the intake for the live well so i don't have any water in the line or pump to deal with.

I also will lower the motor all the way while on the ramp when leaving and crank it over then to make sure no water is in it for the ride home. Just don't let it run more than a second and you will have no issues. I have been doing this for 10 years with no problems. I will also form time to time check the fluid in the lower unit at the house to make sure no water as gotten in, I have a buddy that this happened to and it was expensive to fix.
                    sigpic

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

Comment

i use a wine cork i have cut to fit in my livewell hole to prevent water from entering the system
                      mike c
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DucknFish View Post
                        Jim as a good suggestion here. I use my boat through out the winter sometimes more than in the spring and summer combined. I take the RV anti-freeze in a smaller bottle and kept on the boat when i am fishing the weekend somewhere usually SML i will pour it in the hull of the boat to make sure the pump doesn't freeze. i also will plug the intake for the live well so i don't have any water in the line or pump to deal with.

I also will lower the motor all the way while on the ramp when leaving and crank it over then to make sure no water is in it for the ride home. Just don't let it run more than a second and you will have no issues. I have been doing this for 10 years with no problems. I will also form time to time check the fluid in the lower unit at the house to make sure no water as gotten in, I have a buddy that this happened to and it was expensive to fix.
                        DucknFish, that was what I commenting on in the earlier post about the water pump impeller. Thirty years ago Wayne Eddington, Campbell's son used to be the head mechanic at Sturgeon Creek Marina and he told me to do that as well as the old 2+2 additive before "Sta-Bil". I run it in my tank in the Winter as well as the "Ethanol Treatment". I have to go to "Gander Mountain" to get Ethanol Treatment as "Wal-Mart" doesn't carry it.
                        Good comments guys, I am sure these are going to save someone an enormous repair bill./tu/
                        sigpic

Comment

Might want to grease the fittings on your motor also. I did mine yesterday while I had the grease gun out for tractor and a fair amount of water came out. Also, your bearing buddys if you have them.
                          sigpic

Comment

When is it too late to winterize your boat? Is it after the temperatures drop below freezing? What do the guys do who fish all year? How do they combat water freezing inside the engine or the lower unit? Just wondering?
                            sigpic

Comment

its never to late to winterize... if your not going to use your boat for several months like 3 or more, i would consider winterizeing it... as for those of use that use the boat year round... after you get out of the water...tilt your engine all the way down... let it drain for several minutes... then tilt it all the way up for a minute or 2 then back down again.. when you get home again hang it vertical and leave it that way till next time you use it... pull the plug and let it drain on the way home, make sure you have a tilt toward the drain hole.. pour a little rv antifreeze or winshield washer fluid into your live well andmaybe your splash well if you want... just make sure you drain it before you use it again..there are several other things you can do, but they are ot super critical...
                              mike c
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X