SEEKING: Mature Fly Fishing Partner in Shenandoah Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SEEKING: Mature Fly Fishing Partner in Shenandoah Valley

I am seeking an experienced, partially or fully retired fly fishing partner in the Central Shenandoah Valley.

I have fly fished these counties for trout: Augusta, Rockbridge, Amherst, Nelson, Botetourt, Bath, Allegheny, Greene, Madison, Shenandoah National Park (South and Central Sections) and George Washington National Forest. I also fly fish many of the "Special regulation" trout waters, both stocked and wild. I am open to fly fish other counties. I have fly fished waters in these counties for Smallmouth and other warm water species: Rockbridge, Augusta and Highland. I am open to fly fish other counties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brook Trout.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	98498
    Last edited by Steverz; 03-04-2019, 05:48 PM. Reason: Too shorten and refine Post.

Hello Steve, Well I fit most of your requirements. I"m 64 (almost), retired, love to fish trout with a fly rod, no grandpa duties and love the fight of a smallie on a flyrod.

The drawbacks are: I'm east of Richmond, I'm not a big hiker especially on long hikes uphill, I prefer pond fishing in my canoe or float tube and I'm not in the best of shape. Nothing that a better diet and more exercise won't fix. Something I'm working on.

I've been in the state just over a year having moved from Maine. Southeast Virginia would not have been my first choice to live but my wife's family came first. I've been itching to get out to the Shenandoah to fish. I've been looking at some wadable spots on the North Fork. I'm also checking on campgrounds and good places to fish in the mountains. The Jackson is one of the rivers I want to fish. Along with the Maury and upper James. Last spring I hired a guide to fish the Smith River and caught a bunch of brownies.

I know this doesn't help your buddy search but I just wanted you to know that there is someone out there also looking for a fishing partner.

Russ

Click image for larger version

Name:	RussBrown2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	863.2 KB
ID:	97058
    When fly fishing is outlawed, only outlaws will fly fish.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We are 2hr30min apart from my home and 1hr45min from Charlottesville. I fish the Maury for Smallmouth every summer as that water is 40 miles to my southwest. I also fish the Jackson River Special Regulation section (Hidden Valley) in Bath County as it is one hour west. As for the North Fork Shenandoah, one hour north, that one is tricky. The lower section is barely wadeable and has Large and Smallmouth Bass, Rock Bass and Redbreast Sunfish. The middle section is Posted and the upper section is stocked with trout but dries down to nothing in certain sections during the summer, so warm water species are slim throughout most of the upper wadeable stretches.

When you come this way, you would exit I-64 into Charlottesville and head north for nearby trout fishing in the Shenandoah National Park (SNP). The places I fish from the lower reaches hiking is minimal and on trails or old forest service roads. Mostly Native Brook trout though several streams also have Wild Browns.

It sounds like we could hookup on occasion with the closest fishing in the SNP north of Charlottesville. Something to think about. Steve

Comment

I spent last night looking at the Maury on Google Earth. It is certainly an interesting stretch of water. It all looks wadeable, except the Goshen Pass area. I don't do well in fast water. I'd love to hook up with you sometime. I have nothing to hold me back unless my wife is out of town, then I have to stay home with the dogs. If I come west for any fishing, I would get a motel room and make it a 2 or 3 day excursion.

My email is [email protected] if you want to drop me a line.

Russ

Comment

If you're going to be at the FF Expo, I'll probably run into you.

Comment

Steve, how far up can you fish on the Shenandoah?

Comment

Hello Steve, I live in Culpeper and retired, don't have too many duties other than the wife. I have fished some of the areas you listed but mostly stocked streams and lakes. Never fished Madison county, try to stay away from the crowd! Would like to get to know more about SNP brookies though, maybe we can hook up.

Comment

HI: I am in Staunton. It does sound like we may be able to hookup for some trout in the SNP. It would though be in Greene and Madison Counties. During the week though, there aren't any crowds and many times no other anglers. It's the weekends and holidays that draw the crowds.

Comment

Hey, I'm going to be at the FF Expo at the end of April. I'll be there on Saturday and plan to fish the Staunton area on Sunday and Monday. Have either of you guys fished in Ramsey's Draft. I heard there be good trout there. If the river is too high, I may try Elkhorn Lake in my canoe.
                  If you two are interested in joining me let me know. Im staying at the Comfort Inn in Staunton.

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by Yooper View Post
                    Hey, I'm going to be at the FF Expo at the end of April. I'll be there on Saturday and plan to fish the Staunton area on Sunday and Monday. Have either of you guys fished in Ramsey's Draft. I heard there be good trout there. If the river is too high, I may try Elkhorn Lake in my canoe.
                    If you two are interested in joining me let me know. Im staying at the Comfort Inn in Staunton.

Russ
                    Russ: Sorry I missed this. We could have hooked up. My fault. Maybe another time soon.

Comment

Steverz, have you had any luck finding a partner? I've been wanting to fish the north Shenandoah this summer. Let me know if you want to hook up.
                      Russ

Comment

Working...
                      X