Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith...

Hebrews 11:6…And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

What a powerful verse. Jesus goes on to tell us in the book of Matthew, “I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you. "

Now I ask the question? How many mountains have you seen moved from here to there? Answer: NONE. That’s because Faith is not an easy thing. In some areas of my life I have very strong faith and in other areas I have very weak faith. So I ask myself why? The answer is obvious, unbelief. The root cause of unbelief is that we allow fear and doubt to creep in and to some degree the lack of a determination to hold fast in our belief? Fear is the enemy of faith. I remember playing with my son when he was young. I would put him on the counter top and hold my hands out for him to jump to me and he would jump away never giving it a second thought. He would laugh and laugh and demand to do it again. Somewhere along the line he started to sense that “IF” I dropped him or he didn’t jump far enough something bad would happen, lol. That’s when his faith began to wane and then finally it disappeared all together, unless of course I was very, very close to him when he jumped. It was his fear that not only caused him to doubt but it also robbed him of the reward. In this case it was a game that had made him very happy. So too it is with us. Its funny how the heart is willing to believe but the mind is not.

So what can we do about it? We have to overcome fear, apply our faith the correct way, and then be determined to see it through. If I asked you what is the opposite of fear what would be your answer? If you said courage that would be a good answer but it would be wrong. Love is the opposite of fear. Would you hesitate to use your body to shield and protect your wife or children in a mall with an active shooter? Or run into a burning home to rescue your wife or child. I would bet a paycheck you would. Your love for them causes you to act with total disregard of the danger. When a child is awakened by a violent thunderstorm and cries out do you walk into his room and say “be courage’s”? Of course not. You hold him and love on him and reassure him that it will be ok. It’s your love that wipes away his fear. So too then is it the same for us. We have to believe in the love that God and Jesus Christ has for us and to believe it so much that it wipes away our fear.

Applying our faith in the right way means we must first believe that “He Is”, and “He is Able” and “He Will” according to his word. In his word is where our faith works. By faith Noah built the ark, Aam left his country to a land that God had promised him. By faith the walls of Jericho fell, Moses led the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt, and it was the lack of faith that caused them to wander in the wilderness for 40 years. It would be nice if every act of faith we did was with total belief in what we were doing but most often that is not the case. Most of the time we have to act in “obedience by faith” even though in our hearts we may not be completely sold on an idea. There are many stories in the bible I could use to illustrate that point but I’ll tell ya this little story. I was stationed in Japan on the base of Mt Fuji back in 75. I was a tanker and we had five tanks there to support the infantry. Our commander had taken us to the field for a week of training and for some unknown reason he led us up to the snow rim of that volcano. We traveled up a pathway just slightly wider than our tanks to about 7000 feet I guess. I am thinking to myself on just how in the world are we going to get back down? Back down 7000 feet? I don’t think so, haha. We managed to find a place that we could get one tank at a time turned around. That was a SNAFU in itself but we got it done and down we headed. As we are coming down my tank loses its breaks. Now imagine looking off to your left and seeing nothing but a 7000 foot drop, and on the right side is the mountain itself. You are coming down this thing in a 12 cylinder, 1200 HP diesel powered 54 ton Tank with no breaks. Pucker factor 101 ha-ha. So the tank is picking up speed and my driver is spazing out big time. I didn’t have a lot of time to work with before something bad was going to happen so very quickly I started talking to the driver and calming him down a bit and told him that I wanted him to shift into reverse and steer slightly left towards the drop off. He had just begun to utter a response questioning my order when I firmly told him to shut up and do what I said and do it NOW! And he did. What my driver didn’t know that I did know is that you can use the engine as a break buy placing it in reverse. The engine actually starts running backwards acting as a break but when you do that the steering is reversed. In other words when you are going forward in reverse gear you must steer left to go right which is the direct opposite of what is normal in going forward. My point is this. Even though that driver didn’t understand or fully believe in what I was telling him to do he had enough trust in me to do what I told him to do in the face of what he certainly must of thought was an act that was going to possibly kill us all. And that is what we have to do too. Put our trust in God and his promises/word even when we do not understand.

Finally there is determination. There are many illustrations in the bible where Jesus healed multitudes of sick people. But not all were healed. For every one that was healed there were many more that went away as sick as when they came. Why is that? I think it was because the ones that were healed went there with the determination to be healed. They didn’t go there with a hope of being healed. They went to Jesus believing that he “Was” the son of God, that he was “Able” to heal them and “He would”, heal them according to his word. That gave them the determination to seek him out, to not give up and to not leave until they found him!

The truth of the matter is that people do get sick and die. Some at a young age and some get to grow old. In the end though we will all have to face death. I do not pretend to understand why some win their fight against a sickness and why some do not. It’s beyond my understanding. But no matter what; I will always commit myself believing that my God “Is” and “He is Able” and “He Will” according to his word.

God Bless and see you guys on the water. And when we get to Heaven we’ll talk about the ones that got away, lol.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Some great things to think about Jim - thanks

Comment

Wow, that was awesome Jim! No doubt fear robs us of the things we could have with the Lord! Back when Jesus was walking the earth and teaching you still had plenty of people who didn't belive in Him and they got to see Him at work. How much tougher is it to believe when He isn't here? It's easy to belive in something you can see or touch but it takes true faith to believe in something you can't see or touch. But that faith in Him will be rewarded one day in Heaven.

I listen to David Jerimiah on the radio most every morning on my way to work. That is what he was talking about the other day. He said love is the opposite of fear (which I technically disagree with but understand where he's coming from). He's on fm 89.7 (afn) from 6:30-7:00 which is my ride to work. He's really good and I enjoy listening to what he has to say.

Thanks for sharing with us Jim!
      Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

lol Eric, me too. Every day at 0630 on 88.1. I have been thinking on this subject for a couple of weeks now and writing some notes down along the way. When I heard David Jerimiah explain how love was the opposite of fear it made perfect sense to me. I have never heard a better explanation about it before. Seeing that I could never put it any better I had to borrow that explanation and include it. I am sure Mr Jerimiah wouldn't mind, lol. To me love prevents fear before it can creep in and courage overcomes it. The lord says to "Fear Not" so thats my goal. I have a very long way to go to get there, lol. Thanks Eric!

sigpic

Comment

God is love. Thanks for sharing guys. Always good to see some striving for Faith.
          You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Comment

Jim as usual great reading and great thought. Puts in better perspective. Thank you
            2017 Ironman winner
            2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Originally posted by just1more View Post
              lol Eric, me too. Every day at 0630 on 88.1. I have been thinking on this subject for a couple of weeks now and writing some notes down along the way. When I heard David Jerimiah explain how love was the opposite of fear it made perfect sense to me. I have never heard a better explanation about it before. Seeing that I could never put it any better I had to borrow that explanation and include it. I am sure Mr Jerimiah wouldn't mind, lol. To me love prevents fear before it can creep in and courage overcomes it. The lord says to "Fear Not" so thats my goal. I have a very long way to go to get there, lol. Thanks Eric!
              When I read what you wrote I thought either you listen to him too or the Lord is trying to drill a point in my head!!! LOL Maybe so. No doubt I have a long way to go to overcome my fears. We all do at some level or another. Great post! I'm sure Dr. Jeremiah will let that one slide. LOL
              Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for sharing. Opposite of fear is love? How did Jesus show us to overcome fear- love of the Father. This is right on!
                God Bless,
                HD

Comment

My thoughts on this are a song sung very well by Kansas.....Dust in the Wind....carefully listen and you get me....
                  cheers,
                  Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
                  Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

I got ya back buddy but Kansas is late to the party, lol. I think they got the Idea for the song from the book of Ecclesiastes..But I dont think they read the whole thing because they left out the most important part.

sigpic

Comment

THIS REMINDS ME OF ALL THE GREAT THINGS JESUS DOES AS WELL...he allows us to live in harmony..wake up and breathe fresh air....helps heal us....this reminds me of a fishn trip me and two buds were on in my aluminum bass boat i had back in the day....we was rock fishn and doing poorly....well glenn said lets all pray over the equipment ..so we raised our hands and started praying in tongues......he said move the fishn rods to otherside......low and behold ,like the story in the bible....we caught over 80 rock fish to 15 lbs and at times had 4 fish on at one time and full of joy...well i still pray first and give thanks immediately for everything that happens in my life.....he will never put anything on us..we cant handle.....but we will sometimes say..why.....GOD BLESS EVERYONE ON THIS SITE AND THE WORLD.

Comment

Working...
                      X