Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest member in SW Va

Hello all, New here, living in Roanoke.

Like most of you I come from a hunting family, but from my early teens up until recent years hunting was something I enjoyed doing but never really got to do. When I was a teenager I had other stuff on my mind (fast cars and fast girls lol) and my dad was usually too busy (he owns a business where I now work) to really set aside hunting time and he's always been an over-cautious type of parent and only recently (I'm 26) has he let me have my shotgun that he purchased for me when I was 8 lol. He was always worried I would get a scratch on it (heaven forbid) or that I would somehow shoot myself in the face by holding the gun backward or something. I never really looked into purchasing my own guns since I wasn't really hunting enough to warrant the purchase. Now though, I'm looking more seriously into it and will probably be looking to purchase a 12g for more power and range for birds and a rifle before deer season.

When I was a kid we hunted dove in the late summer and early fall and deer in the late fall and early winter (you guys know the seasons) and groundhog during the summer when there isnt really anything else to shoot at. By hunt I mean I would usually just sit and hang out and think quietly to myself while my dad and older sister would shoot stuff (yes I have an older sister who is the definition of a southern belle mixed with a whole bucket of mud and dirt, although she lives in SoCal now) We would spend a whole weekend driving around farms in and around the Floyd Co area and get permission from land owners to take care of their groundhogs problems.. they are usually more than happy to have someone get them off their property if they have crops or livestock, as they will damage crops and leave holes for livestock to step in and get hurt.

In recent years we've gotten back out in the corn fields and started doing quail hunts at game preserves. I got my first pheasant a couple years ago too! Small game birds are really all my dad is into hunting anymore but it's not enough for me. I'm trying to get into any hunting I can. Last summer I got back into camping regularly and the place where I camp is prime hunting land. I have yet to go up there and NOT see at least a couple deer roaming around and the occasional turkey on the dirt road running the length of the valley and hear turkey calling off in the distance. Also some great fishing and hiking. So, this year I've decided to go all in (or all "out" I guess). I'm only sporting my Remington 1100 20g atm. I'm hoping to get a turkey in close enough to put it down with the 20, I've heard of people doing it but I've also been told by several people it's highly unlikely I'll have success with it.

I need to find a turkey first though..

I've had some average to below-average luck so far this spring season. I've heard several gobblers in my area and I accidentally scared off a bird while scouting out some hunting spots.. I wanted to take a shot at it but it flew from the ridge I was on and glided over to the next hill over from me a few hundred feet away.. I could have gotten a shot on it when I first spooked it and it flew up since it flew right in front of me from my right to my left, but I couldn't tell if it was a hen or gobbler and didn't want to risk it.. also it may have been asking a bit much of my ol 20g to shoot the bird in flight at about 20/25 yds.

I also dabble a bit in trout and bass fishing. I prefer trout but I'm not against going after some small mouth in my local rivers. In fact I caught a fatty or a small mouth last summer while trout fishing.. sometimes you never know what will hit your lure. I never really 'target' bass though, only on rare occasions when I'm not getting any trout. I haven't had a successful fish this year but I've only been out fishing maybe twice and it wasn't for long.

Anyway, I'll stop my wall of text! See you guys around the forums and maybe out in the field!
    Just another hunter in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Now thats a solid intro! Glad to have you join VA Outdoors, look forward to more posts.

Comment

welcome to site.
      Make VAO Great again

Comment

welcome aboard buddy!

Comment

Originally posted by Striper View Post
          Now thats a solid intro! Glad to have you join VA Outdoors, look forward to more posts.
          lol thanks. after I typed it all I thought it may be too long for people to want to read but it gives a good insight into my hunting experience, or lack of experience.
          Just another hunter in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Comment

welcome aboard! i'm just down the road - in Blacksburg
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome aboard Blue ridge Huntsman.
              2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
              2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
              2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
              2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
              "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information