• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report week ending 4-17

Week ending April 17, 2011

Smack Down!

Tidal Potomac River

Bass fishing was rocking on the river this week. I covered the whole river from Aquia to the WW Bridge. Bass have now moved to the grass flats in big waves. We took bass on XCalibur Xcs-100's in chart/black back, weightless YUM Dingers, Booyah Vibra-Flex spinnerbaits, YUM Money Minnows, and Carolina rigged YUM lizards. I can't even point out a favorite spot. The flats inside creeks certainly worked best compared to main river stuff and with all the rain and wind the main river will be a mess. The inside of the creeks should remain clear and the bass aren't going to miss a beat. We took more 4-pound plus fish than I can count and anchored it with a big old 7-pound "Gootchie Mama Sow".

Lake Anna

The lake fished as good this past week as I have ever seen it. There are a lot of spawning fish as well as a lot that are still pre-spawn. They have committed to the small pockets and cuts. The top pattern was definitely targeting docks inside said cuts. I mainly tossed a weightless YUM Houdini Shad working it with a medium to slow retrieve. I also continued to throw a YUM Houdini Worm on a Booyah football shaky-head to staging points and creek channels that bass are using as travel routes to the shallows. Saturday in that miserable storm was some of the best fishing I have experienced in a long time at the lake in terms of numbers. This coming week will be the juggernaut.

For more info on Lake Anna check out this site www.va-outdoors.com

Rappahannock River

No report here this week.

Other Places

Sponsor of the week: Booyah

It has been a longtime since I employed my specially altered Booyah Blade. But I went back old school this past week with a single copper willow blade. I take a regular Booyah Blade spinnerbait remove the blades and replace them with a 4.5 copper blade from Bass Pro. I'll use either a chart/white, perch, or plain white as my skirt colors. This is what took down that big old Gootchie Mama this past week.
Working...
X