Tip on adding/replacing hooks in hollow body frogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip on adding/replacing hooks in hollow body frogs

Due to some nasty turtles as of late- I have been changing out broken frog hooks in my Spros. I have found it real easy to 1st pull out the old hook. Then run a line pick tool through the opening on the "belly" of the frog up through the mouth. Take a piece of braid/ fishing line and make a loop in the end. Hook the line pick on the loop and pull the braid/ line through. then retie your new hook and pull back through. Might need to wrap the braid/line around the pick to keep from slicing your finger( found out the hard way) hope this helps out
    Crank That Jank!
    sigpic

I do it a bit different, same concept. I leave the frog tied on to the braid/pole and pull the hook out....give it some slack, cut the old hook off, tie the new one on and pull back thru....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Its expensive but I throw fro out and replace it with a brand new shinny one
      2017 Ironman winner
      2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Originally posted by skeet1 View Post
        Its expensive but I throw fro out and replace it with a brand new shinny one
        Carl, normally I would agree with you, but my reason for this is that I am trying out different hook types/sizes to improve the Spro's hookup ratio's. I LOVE the hook in the Transporter and am trying them out in the Spro, plus some different sizes in the Spro to see what it can handle. Also gives me opportunity to add the skirt sleeve to the hook to reduce the water inflow to the frog body. My hook up ratio is very high with the Transporter and not so high with the Spro and it is frustrating me to the point of experimentation. There are other mod's as well, but I won't roll those out till I have a handle on if they work, how they work, etc....
        cheers,
        Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
        Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

Keep us updated on the results of your experiments.
          sigpic

Comment

Steve I havnt experienced a low hook up ratio on the spros unless there short hitting. In this case need to find a way to put on some trailer hooks, but grass hang ups sux. But seriously I've had bass just grab the skirts and pull them down. Key here is to stay patient let him pull it down then take light pulls on frog and they'll come back to finish it off.
            2017 Ironman winner
            2019 Polar Bear winner

Comment

Working...
            X