Andy's Blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy's Blades

I wanted to thank Andy for producing a solid blade bait at a very good price. The price is usually a good dollar less than what you would pay at most places. His baits rock in terms of quality! He uses very good components that hold solid fish!

This fishing report is for December 2014 and January of this year. I have been using Andy's Blades for several years now and the last two months continue to be strong for quality bass. I am using the 1/2 oz white/silver and 1/2 oz gold blades mostly. With water temps in the 39-44 degree range, this bait is very effective when fish are on the bottom. The bait has produced a dozen bass for me over the past two months in the 3-7 lb range. Yesterday the bait produced a 21 pound five fish limit. My preferred technique is to fish this bait along gradually slopping banks with sparse/scattered cover. I like to make long casts with an aggressive "rip" off the bottom and let it rest on the bottom for a second. Most times the fish will be on when you lift back up. You will have to figure out each hour/day how aggressive the bite is. Sometimes a longer rest on the bottom can pay off as the bass/crappie will pick it up off the bottom. I have brought bass in with leaves in their mouths as they will suck the bait in. Most of the time though a second is all that is needed. At times a vertical approach may be best.

Things I am looking for when fishing this lure. I like gradual slopping banks with deeper water near by. Points, shallow areas with sudden drop offs, channel swings, and even main lake banks with little cover can be productive. I am looking for bait/crappie/bass on or very near the bottom and presenting the lure with hops all the way back to the boat. Most fish the past two months have been caught in about 8-20 feet of water with a foot to a foot and a half visibility. Many have been caught in the 8-10 foot range near cover or bait. This lure works great around bait on the bottom and you don't always need cover present. If cover is present, that is a bonus as it will hold fish longer in that area most times. Fish move often so an area that was hot yesterday may or may not be hot today. Use your electronics to find areas where the fish are generally located. In terms of weather, I find that an approaching rain/snow storm is best. If you can get out several hours before or during the storm, fishing is usually strong. Brighter blue bird days can be good also but windows of opportunities are usually smaller. There is usually a good bite when the sun gets up, again around 1 and then again right before dusk.

The lure will get hung on every limb along the bottom but you can free it most of the time with gentle pulls. Let the weight of the lure free itself. A lure retriever is handy if the lure will not free it self.

I have caught good fish on other baits recently as well but most have been on Andy's Blades. Give them a try!
    Rob
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Originally posted by MSTFSH View Post
    I wanted to thank Andy for producing a solid blade bait at a very good price. The price is usually a good dollar less than what you would pay at most places. His baits rock in terms of quality! He uses very good components that hold solid fish!

This fishing report is for December 2014 and January of this year. I have been using Andy's Blades for several years now and the last two months continue to be strong for quality bass. I am using the 1/2 oz white/silver and 1/2 oz gold blades mostly. With water temps in the 39-44 degree range, this bait is very effective when fish are on the bottom. The bait has produced a dozen bass for me over the past two months in the 3-7 lb range. Yesterday the bait produced a 21 pound five fish limit. My preferred technique is to fish this bait along gradually slopping banks with sparse/scattered cover. I like to make long casts with an aggressive "rip" off the bottom and let it rest on the bottom for a second. Most times the fish will be on when you lift back up. You will have to figure out each hour/day how aggressive the bite is. Sometimes a longer rest on the bottom can pay off as the bass/crappie will pick it up off the bottom. I have brought bass in with leaves in their mouths as they will suck the bait in. Most of the time though a second is all that is needed. At times a vertical approach may be best.

Things I am looking for when fishing this lure. I like gradual slopping banks with deeper water near by. Points, shallow areas with sudden drop offs, channel swings, and even main lake banks with little cover can be productive. I am looking for bait/crappie/bass on or very near the bottom and presenting the lure with hops all the way back to the boat. Most fish the past two months have been caught in about 8-20 feet of water with a foot to a foot and a half visibility. Many have been caught in the 8-10 foot range near cover or bait. This lure works great around bait on the bottom and you don't always need cover present. If cover is present, that is a bonus as it will hold fish longer in that area most times. Fish move often so an area that was hot yesterday may or may not be hot today. Use your electronics to find areas where the fish are generally located. In terms of weather, I find that an approaching rain/snow storm is best. If you can get out several hours before or during the storm, fishing is usually strong. Brighter blue bird days can be good also but windows of opportunities are usually smaller. There is usually a good bite when the sun gets up, again around 1 and then again right before dusk.

The lure will get hung on every limb along the bottom but you can free it most of the time with gentle pulls. Let the weight of the lure free itself. A lure retriever is handy if the lure will not free it self.

I have caught good fish on other baits recently as well but most have been on Andy's Blades. Give them a try!
    Rob
    ......Nice write up Rob. On the 1/2 oz white/silver and 1/2 oz gold blades ....which is better on cloudy days....which on sunny days.?
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
    sigpic

Comment

Larry - I've used both colors with ~equal success in sunny conditions. Gold has always been better in overcast conditions or if there's a lil stain in the water. Andy started making a version w/ holographic tape on the sides in both gold and silver. Those are killer.
      sigpic

Comment

Larry, agree with B. What I noticed on the lake I fish is that there are a lot of crappie and red ear sunfish and regular sunfish/bluegills present. The gold blade really is close in color to the lower body of a sunfish or bluegill. Now, I even get those panfish to hit a smaller version of blade. I am just trying to mimick the color as close as possible. Same thing with the white on the blade to represent colors in a crappie.

I tend to do better on gold blades on cloudy days and silver on sunny days. White is working pretty good on either days but I haven't figured that out yet, lol.
        1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Comment

Originally posted by MSTFSH View Post
          Larry, agree with B. What I noticed on the lake I fish is that there are a lot of crappie and red ear sunfish and regular sunfish/bluegills present. The gold blade really is close in color to the lower body of a sunfish or bluegill. Now, I even get those panfish to hit a smaller version of blade. I am just trying to mimick the color as close as possible. Same thing with the white on the blade to represent colors in a crappie.

I tend to do better on gold blades on cloudy days and silver on sunny days. White is working pretty good on either days but I haven't figured that out yet, lol.
          the "book" says nickle on sunny days to accentuate the flash and gold on cloudy days. Give the depth and how light filters color I am not sure a difference either make other than how far from the fish to where they can see it. Lateral lines just get them close.
          cheers,
          Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
          Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

sigpic

Comment

You nailed that report rob. Perfect. Andy blades ROX. Agree with Steve on color. Not sure how much of a difference color makes 20 to 30 feet deep. But hey; confidence is confidence.
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
            2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the report Rob, always great to hear success stories.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X